PUN 2.0 Transform View

Hello, I have updated my project to PUN 2.0 from the original version and have noticed that since the update my remote players movement appears more stuttery and jerky. I noticed that the new PhotonTransformView component no longer has any interpolate options such as lerping. Was this functionality changed or removed in the PUN 2.0 version?
Here is how my components where setup originally which looked pretty smooth and synced well.

Will I need to use a custom OnPhotonSerializeView to do the lerping now in PUN 2.0? or is there a better way to remove that stutter now?

Thank for the help!
TJ

Comments

• Hi @TJDabs,

with PUN 2 we added a new PhotonTransformView component which worked fine in our internal tests, but might lead to some issues in certain use cases. We are already looking for another solution.

While updating the PhotonTransformView component, we also updated both RigidbodyView (2D and 3D) components. In my opinion they are working best without using an additional PhotonTransformView component, since they are synchronizing the position as well. I'm asking you to remove the PhotonTransformView component, repeat your test and let me know the result of this test.
  • Hey @Christian_Simon , Thanks for the tip! I removed the PhotonTransformView and just left the Rididbody2DView and it feels much smoother now. I only see a little big of lag when a remote player quickly changes direction but overall the syncing feels good.
  • I tried PUN 2 and it's great, but not having this functionality it's a dealbreaker for me. 3 of the projects I'm working on relies on having the posibility to configure the sync of position and rotation.
    I really hope PUN 2 maintains this functionality, meanwhile I'll have to stick to Photon Classic.
  • Removing functionality hardly seems like an upgrade. I'm new to Photon and PUN but I've heard great things and I've been really impressed with it so far. It just seems to work and I like it. However, upon switching over to PUN2 and the more I dig into it the less confidence I have in it. It seems to me like it was put out haphazardly. It may just be my imagination but everything about it just seems to be worse, performance wise. Also, the way the website is set up with no real links that I can find to even get to PUN2 information without knowing to go here and find the forum post that has a link to it, it worries me. Like am I committing my game to run on a half baked experiment that could disappear here at any time?
  • I just started learning PUN2 and noticed that PUN2 does not have as fancy Photon Transform View component that PUN classic does. Would it be possible to get an update from Photon devs on this? Should we use the classic version of the component, or should the position smoothing be done via scripting?
  • Hi @jarileon,

in PUN 2.5 we re-introduced the PhotonTransformView component from PUN Classic, it is now called PhotonTransformViewClassic. Which of them you use depends on your game. You would have to test them and see, which one works best in your game as long as you don't create a custom solution on your own.

Please also note the hint, which is now available on the new PhotonTransformView component. It states the following:

The Photon Transform View of PUN 2 is simple by design. Replace it with the Photon Transform View Classic if you want the old options. The best solution is a custom IPunObservable implementation.
  • jarileon
    jarileon
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for the reply @Christian_Simon. I´ll test how the PhotonTransformViewClassic works vs the PhotonTransformView.

I did notice the note in the inspector. However, i find it kind of vague. I would suggest that you include a link to a more elaborate explanation or tutorial on how (and why) exactly the custom IPunObservable implementation is "the best".