Can't connect to Photon Server.

Options
I have been working on my project for few years now and today for some reason my game will not connect to Photons Server. It gave me this error:
TimeoutDisconnect while connecting to: 169.63.72.88:5055. Check if the server is available.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
NetworkingPeer:OnStatusChanged(StatusCode) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:2094)
ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer:SendOutgoingCommands()
ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer:SendOutgoingCommands()
PhotonHandler:Update() (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonHandler.cs:177)

Checked the App ID code its fine, checked if Host Type is Photon Cloud, it is.

Is photon server down or something?
And no I'm not using the free version, Photon Pun+.

Comments

• sah1234
    Options
    Same problem here, it must be down. Noticed it around 8:50 might have been going on a while?
  • sah1234
    Options
    OK it appears "Us" (US East) is down, "Usw" (US West) is up... hmm
  • xblade724
    xblade724
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Photon "US" is down -- our users are timing out. Please forward all us east traffic to us west until fixed? The first occurrence was at 9:50pm EST, just over an hour ago. Not the type of thing I hoped to wake up to ;(

EDIT: Hmm, no official staff saw this? I emailed them about 5 minutes ago -- I'm going to reply back with this link.

• I'm noticing US region is failing to connect as well. My assumption was also that the service must be down. USW works for me right now. This is not that big of a deal for my team/project since we are still in development. However, this service down condition has me now very concerned for the viability of my game when it launches.

We will have clients using our app all over the world. If the entire service can go down in a particular region, that would prevent some from being able to use our app. What redundancies are there in place? How can we guarantee to our users 100% availability?
  • xblade724
    xblade724
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Indeed - why wouldn't the servers redirect so at least there's SOME service going on? Especially USE >> USW? We have hundreds in live chat @ https://discord.gg/tol right now waiting for this to come back up after being kicked off.
  • xblade724
    Options
    SUPER BUMP!! Where are you guys?
  • sah1234
    sah1234
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Still wondering what's happening myself. The outage is going on 2 hours unless it started even earlier than I noticed.

I think what we should have in place as developers is an auto-forward. So users can default to Us West if Us East goes down, etc. Or Photon could do this themselves as you said.
  • xblade724
    xblade724
    edited October 2018
    Options
    AAA service with no one watching during critical peak without even communication for 3+ hours? No one gets a @ping or something on outage? No redundancies or forwards?

We need at least some COMMUNICATION! What is going on? We're freakin out a bit. We're about to pull out a backup and change servers - really shouldn't have to do this :(
  • mgrigorov
    mgrigorov
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Noone is giving any answers... We are losing valuable players from USE right now... @xblade724 what is your game called?
  • xblade724
    xblade724
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Ours is Throne of Lies - we went from about 230 active players online to 0 when it happened, core time on a Friday night. We also just so happen to be having a 50% off sale, which makes this occasion even-more unfortunate.

On the dev side (not yet live), we were just tinkering with a Unity 2018 port (from 5.6), so it was REALLY AWKWARD - we weren't ready to build a patch. I had to pull out our 5.6 backup, change regions and build a patch. It took a while to get this rolling, though -- but the damage has already been done.

Ironically timed, we just got billed for the month during the outage.

We're quite appalled that there has been no one around after the servers are *still* down even 5 hours later (and counting). It's still down and who knows how many other devs are suffering. Looks like we made the right call to rebuild and emergency patch, despite 5 hours lost, over relying on a fix to the source issue.

While it's human to make mistakes, lack of communication is in poor taste so we can't even plan.

Welp, time to spend the rest of the day lost on damage control. Ready for those angry negative reviews?
  • mgrigorov
    Options
    Yeah we lost a lot of players from US East too. Now its working in our game - Counter Attack Multiplayer for iOS and Android. Your game looks awesome!
  • xblade724
    Options
    mgrigorov said:

Yeah we lost a lot of players from US East too. Now its working in our game - Counter Attack Multiplayer for iOS and Android. Your game looks awesome!

Servers are back up, you say ?
  • mgrigorov
    Options
    @xblade724 yes we’ve spoked with the support team in Germany and 10-15 minutes after that the usa servers were back on.
  • xblade724
    xblade724
    edited October 2018
    Options
    mgrigorov said:

@xblade724 yes we’ve spoked with the support team in Germany and 10-15 minutes after that the usa servers were back on.

Within 10~15 minutes they responded? Whoa. The English team still seems to be *still* completely unaware of what happened (I tried about 3 emails I know + their social media -- I got the same result as if I would've emailed noreply@404.com). Next time I'll get our German mod to translate us an email and bug German support, ehehh...

I think you saved us. Thank you, Hero @mgrigorov and the German Photon team.

As for the English Photon team... what the heck, guys?
  • Markus
    Options
    Hey, there will be a post-mortem on https://blog.photonengine.com/ in the next days.
  • Markus said:

Hey, there will be a post-mortem on https://blog.photonengine.com/ in the next days.

You can find our analysis online:
    https://blog.photonengine.com/outage_realtime_us_20181020/

Again, we are very sorry about this, but the post explains the reason. The lack of communication was unfortunate.