General Questions: Photon Server SDK LoadBalancing

I'm evaluating self-hosted Photon Server for my Unity project, and have a few general questions:

1) I don't really see how to launch additional Game Servers with LoadBalancing (MyCloud). Is there documentation or a tutorial that covers how this works?
2) The docs say to "delete the /deploy/LoadBalancing/GameServer2 directory", but there isn't one. Are the docs out of date?
3) The docs say "you should not host 2 Game Server applications on one server", but will this take advantage of all of the CPU cores when using Unity? I'm used to having to launch multiple Unity servers on a single machine in order to make use of multiple CPU cores.
4) When I launch the TestClient, I see 5 or 6 warnings "OnOperationReturn: JoinGame failed: ReturnCode: 32758 (Game does not exists). Disconnecting...". Is this expected because it's trying to join the room before creating it, or should that not be showing up?
5) Am I still limited to "500 messages per second and room" when self-hosting, or is that only for Photon cloud?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• >1) I don't really see how to launch additional Game Servers with LoadBalancing (MyCloud). Is there documentation or a tutorial that covers how this works?
    you should do this manually.
    >2) The docs say to "delete the /deploy/LoadBalancing/GameServer2 directory", but there isn't one. Are the docs out of date?
    please share a link, my colleague @JohnTube will check
    >3) The docs say "you should not host 2 Game Server applications on one server", but will this take
    advantage of all of the CPU cores when using Unity?
    yes, it will. we use ThreadPool. it will use all accessible cores

>4) When I launch the TestClient, I see 5 or 6 warnings "OnOperationReturn:
    well, this is the known issue. it happens that some client connect faster then the game is created

>5) Am I still limited to "500 messages per second and room" when self-hosting, or is that only for Photon cloud?
    my colleague @Markus may help here

best,
    ilya
  • 5) there is no msg/s limit with self-hosted
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hi @Zelek,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

2) Thank you for reporting this. It is indeed an issue with an outdated documentation page. We will update it this week.
  • Thanks everyone for the clarifications, I appreciate it.

Regarding #3 (CPU usage), I'm still a bit confused. Let's say I have a single Unity game server running in Amazon EC2, on an instance with 16 vCPU cores. Perhaps Photon can make use of multiple threads for its operations, but the Unity instance that's handling all of the physics and pathfinding is still going to be stuck with just 1 thread/core. Is the idea that I should have 1 Photon "game server", but I would still launch 16 Unity "game servers"?

• well, you may create 16 games, that will launch 16 unity instances

best,
    ilya
  • Is there documentation or a tutorial that shows an example of this? I'm unsure how to do this through Photon.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear, the headless server from Photon Server is not recommended as it's costly. How many instances can a single server handle?
    You could run Unity instances or run Unity code by referencing Unity DLLs from Photon Plugins.
  • chvetsov said:

>1) I don't really see how to launch additional Game Servers with LoadBalancing (MyCloud). Is there documentation or a tutorial that covers how this works?
    you should do this manually.

Hi I have the same quesiton, is there any simple instruction for lunch 2 or more game servers?
    Thanks ~

• @skyx, no, there are no such instructions

best,
    ilya