Photon TrueSync discontinued

Markus
Markus admin
We decided to streamline our portfolio and focus on less products: this mainly affects TrueSync and Thunder. Please read the details in our blog:
Streamlined Photon Product Portfolio: TRUESYNC fuses into QUANTUM, THUNDER Development Ceased

Comments

• Do you have a release date for quantum?
  • Not right now.
    Please get back at developer@photonengine.com, if you are interested in Quantum.
  • Will Quantum continue to support 3D?
  • Right now, 3D is not the focus.
    Maybe in q3/q4 - no ETAs.
  • Hi all, I messaged Markus & Erick regarding some other questions I had and they mentioned I should probably share here incase it's helpful to other developers.

Questions:
    I saw the news about TrueSync being discontinued.

Will Quantum support running deterministic games _without_ running the simulation on a server like TrueSync did? So masterclient / peer-2-peer multiplayer would still be supported.

Obviously if Quantum requires running the simulation on a server it introduces additional processing costs to developers depending on the complexity of the game simulation.

Just to be clear I'm not talking so much about relaying commands through a server but rather having to run the entire game simulation on the server.

Would you be able to help explain if anything fundamental like that changes with the transition from TrusSync to Quantum?

Answer:

Hey,

Here are the answers:

Will Quantum support running deterministic games _without_ running the simulation on a server like TrueSync did? So masterclient / peer-2-peer multiplayer would still be supported.
    - Quantum requires a server all the time, although NOT for the simulation, but to coordinate input management efficiently and do clock synchronization.

Obviously if Quantum requires running the simulation on a server it introduces additional processing costs to developers depending on the complexity of the game simulation.
    - Running the actual SIMULATION on server is optional, and we don´t even recommend it (exactly because of the issue you´re concerned about). The server plugin serves to protect clients inside a match/room from those who might be lagging (quantum is a state of the art prediction/rollback engine that is NOT lockstep). There´s a lot of clever logic running on the plugin to batch and coordinate input exchange in a game-agnostic way (so the standard quantum plugin can be used to any game without any actual sim running on the server).

Just to be clear I'm not talking so much about relaying commands through a server but rather having to run the entire game simulation on the server.
    - Understood. There´s no sim by default, but the relaying of commands is not so simple as it was on original TrueSync (which had two fundamental issues: lockstep, and didn´t scale well with more than 3 players - quantum doesn´t have any of these, besides being 2 orders of magnitude faster on the physics library, math and other internal stuff - because of the way we do memory management in it).

Would you be able to help explain if anything fundamental like that changes with the transition from TrusSync to Quantum?
    - Quantum and TrueSync are completely different regarding APIs (although both are deterministic). Quantum normally requires a full re-write of the game logic, as it requires you to use its custom DSL (domain specific language) to define the game state data, and it´s own (also custom) auto-generated ECS API to update the game state every frame (in a separate c# project, decoupled from Unity, etc - there are no game objects or MonoBehaviours in game logic, for example).
  • Will Quantum support reconnect?