Optimizing a Headless Client

Options
Spyridon
edited September 2011 in Photon Server
So I've been working on a headless client that will be used for physics simulation alongside my server and I have a few questions on how I could configure it for the best optimization.

My primary concern is the extra time and bandwidth it will take to communicate between Photon and the client. For example, if I'm attempting to shoot a physics based projectile (let's say a Fireball), the player client sends information to the Server, then the server will have to send the data to the Headless Client, and if there is a collision the Headless Client will have to inform the server - I'm wondering the best way to configure the connection between the server and the headless client without adding additional lag?

1) For the Headless Client itself, would it be logical to call Service() at a faster interval than the player clients to minimize the delay of recieving/sending from the server, considering the Headless Client will be ran locally on the server and there will not be as many instances of it compared to player clients?

2) In the above example where I have a Headless Client ran locally, would sending data to "localhost" count towards bandwidth on the server provider? Or would it not count against that since it's not actually sending over the connection to a remote machine?

3) Is there any way to configure the server's SendingDelayMilliseconds to be a lower value specifically to the Headless Client and not the player clients?

4) Any other advice that I may not have thought of for optimizing the connection between the Headless Client and Photon?

Comments

• gnoblin
    Options
    Sadly no one commented to a bunch of interesting questions! :cry:
  • Boris
    Options
    Spyridon wrote:
    1) For the Headless Client itself, would it be logical to call Service() at a faster interval than the player clients to minimize the delay of recieving/sending from the server, considering the Headless Client will be ran locally on the server and there will not be as many instances of it compared to player clients?
    yes
    Spyridon wrote:
    2) In the above example where I have a Headless Client ran locally, would sending data to "localhost" count towards bandwidth on the server provider? Or would it not count against that since it's not actually sending over the connection to a remote machine?
    I doubt that you would pay for localhost or internal traffic, to make sure you sould check with your provider.
    Spyridon wrote:
    3) Is there any way to configure the server's SendingDelayMilliseconds to be a lower value specifically to the Headless Client and not the player clients?
    Right now it's a global setting, but it's going to be a setting per listener.
    Spyridon wrote:
    4) Any other advice that I may not have thought of for optimizing the connection between the Headless Client and Photon?