can't launch Photon

gnoblin
gnoblin
edited September 2011 in Photon Server
On my home PC with win7 х64 here's what I got when I start Photon ("bin_Win64") from RC2 sdk:
6752: 04:21:32.741 - CService::OnException() - Exception: CManagedHost::PhotonRunning() - Failed in AppDomain: 6 - The type initializer for 'Photon.CounterPublisher.SystemCounter' threw an exception.

Here's what I get in VikingDemo (with "bin_Win32_XP" version of Photon)
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/102875 ... post676888
4672: 03:56:33.649 - CService::OnException() - Exception: CManagedHost::PhotonRunning() - Failed in AppDomain: 3 - Cannot load Counter Name data because an invalid index '' was read from the registry.

Comments

• Did you uninstall the previous Counter / Dashboard service and install the new one?

Note that I can't make the counter/dashboard work but at least I don't have an exception.
  • Also I can't launch Photon on my windows server 2008 (from Hetzner) - it produces an error about System.Core.
    I tried to update windows \ install .net framework by the link provided by Tobias,
    but it doesn't work for some reason.

Is there any way to fix it for my poor server? :)
  • lazalong wrote:
    Did you uninstall the previous Counter / Dashboard service and install the new one?

Note that I can't make the counter/dashboard work but at least I don't have an exception.

If that helps - here's what I have on my win7 х64 when I click Install or Remove counters in PhotonControl->PerfMon Counters:
  • When I click Start PerfMon I get this:
  • Is there anything I should do about my registry?

Should I use Photon2 for the rest of my life? :ugeek:
  • Can Photon3 be used without Photon Control application?
  • gnoblin wrote:
    lazalong wrote:
    Did you uninstall the previous Counter / Dashboard service and install the new one?

If that helps - here's what I have on my win7 х64 when I click Install or Remove counters in PhotonControl->PerfMon Counters:
    Interesting. I will need at some time to check if my registry is also containing old values..

However my message says "Performance Counters Installed"... (winxp here) but they still don't work
  • Regarding to the error message shown by PerfMon it seems that some performance counters are corrupted.
    A solution to fix corrupted performance counter can be found here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/perfmon-problems-unable-to-add-counters/e90f231d-0014-457d-8b1f-5f342971597a

The application which prevents Photon to start is the CounterPublisher application which is part of the downloaded SDK. This application tries to read some of the performance counters which apperas in the 'Unable to add counters' error message.
    If the provided link to rebuild perfromance counters doesn't help you can temporary disable the CounterPublisher application in the PhotonServer.config.
  • I'm still reading how to fix the PerfMon Counters...

Besides that - I tried editing the config (to disable Counter Publisher):
    I'm able to start Instance1 (and InstanceLoadBalancing then satrts automatically),
    but if I try to start InstanceLoadBalancing separately I get the same error.

I think I don't understand why there're two entries in PhotonControl and which of them should I start :oops:
  • Ok, I tried running
    lodctr /r

this didn't help (I try one more advice from that thread a bit later).

thanks,
    Slav
  • I've solved my problem (with launching Photon Control on Windows Server 2008 r2) by uninstalling .net framework 4.0, and installing .net framework 3.5.1
  • If you look in the config you will see two xml nodes one for Instance1 and one for InstanceLoadbalancing. In each of this you will see a group of applications.
    The PhotonControl only supports starting one of them (per commandline you could start both)
    it might look like the other one is starte (i guess we should think of a better visualisation).
    Each instance is a separate process.

I assume you get the error because you removed the counter publisher only from instance1
    you also have to remove it in InstanceLoadbalancing.