New Licensing - Definition of Indie / Regular - MMO Module

dreamora
dreamora
edited May 2011 in Any Topic & Chat
Just wanted to say congrats on the 2.0 licensing in general :)

But I've some questions as the pricing page does not offer much information:

1. Whats the definition of Indie and Regular
2. Is there any info on the MMO Module

Comments

• Thanks!
    The pages are not complete yet. Due to the changes we found a lot of stuff that's no longer complete and correct.

The terms for Indies are the same as before (but you get more options). Requirements:
    Licensee hereby accepts the conditions bound to the Neutron Indie license as set forth below and acknowledges that
    - his yearly gross revenue is below US$ 200,000
    - his overall company's staff size is below or equal to 5 including any freelancers
    - the Product shall display the Exit Games Neutron logo prominently in a splash screen and in the Product's credits if present

For the "MMO Module" I have to get a good description myself ;)
  • I guess the logo requirement will be replaced with <Exit Games Network Libraries> (if you have a master logo that covers both) or <ExitGames network library used> in case where no master logo exists so the library in charge is promoted?
  • Yep, there will be separate logos for Neutron and Photon soon.
  • If I purchase the indie photon $1450 unlimited license, what versions will I qualify for in upgrades? I am less than a month out on this decision, but might be MUCH sooner.
  • zumwalt wrote:
    If I purchase the indie photon $1450 unlimited license, what versions will I qualify for in upgrades? I am less than a month out on this decision, but might be MUCH sooner.

You get all Photon 2.x upgrades. Photon 3 is about a year away and there will be major updates in the next minor versions (2.2, 2.4, etc).
  • What is the cost associated with the upgrade to Photon 3 unlimited indie license? Oh and do you take electronic checks for payment?
  • zumwalt wrote:
    What is the cost associated with the upgrade to Photon 3 unlimited indie license?
    As Photon 2 is still a release candiate and not final, it is a bit early totalk about upgrade costs to Photon 3. If we would give you a number now, it would be very likely to change later. Probably a lot will change from Photon 2.0 to Photon 3.0 and if you will need an unlimited licencse in lesse than a month from now, I assume, you will release your game int the next 4 weeks. Please be aware of, that a Photon license is per game and per server, so upgrading that license to Photon 3 in a year or so would only make sense, if yoo would still release major updates to that game then and even in that case only, if the new features of Photon 3 will add enough customers for your existing game to be worth the upgrade costs. Thats a lot of unknown variables for now, so if I were you, I would really wait with the decision if upgrading to Photon 3 or not , until Photon 3 is at least announced. Although it would be the best decision to always use the most recent Photon version (or alternatively the most recent stablte one, if the most recent one is not declared a stable release) for a game in development or about to release, it really depends on the success of a game and the budget you still invest in upgrades to it, if it makes sense to upgrade the Photon version of a game, already in the appstore for about a year.
    If you woul have asked, if there will ever be Inidie-licenses avaiable for Photon, a year ago, the answer would probably have been "no" and now we do offer them, so I can tell you, upgrading an existing Photon 2 license to a Photon 3 one will not be more expensive than to buy a Photon 3 one, without having a Photon 2 one, but all beyond that will depend on to many variables not known yet.
  • I am pretty much ready to buy this month, next day or two, but I need this answered first:
    "do you take electronic checks for payment"

Also, I did read but am still concerned about a few things:
    •Concurrent user limit: None.
    •License is valid for one single application.
    •License is valid for one single server.
    •Indie License conditions
    •Licensee's yearly gross revenue is below US$ 200,000
    •Licensee's overall company's staff size is below or equal to 5 including any freelancers
    •Licensee's product shall display the Exit Games Photon logo prominently (in splash screen or credits)

I am willing to pay the money for unlimited application, unlimited server since this will NEED to be a cascaded server model in a hub/spoke environment. That said, my "single" application has "zones" each "zone" is on a different server but it is ALL part of the same game and load balanced, so I need a license that can handle that type of load, since the game will span horizontally along with vertically.
  • We continue this thread by Mail.
  • We continue this thread by Mail.

Could you send me a PM as well giving the answer to this question? I am interested in what the costs would be to host different regions on different servers all being part of the same game. I am really hoping I won't need to spend $5500 per server in order to load balance my servers! So if I could get a answer when you guys get a chance that would be great!
  • Please send an email to developer@exitgames.com. We can then work out pricings based on your requirements.
  • Indie team max size is only 5? Oh come on. It's not like 10 man team suddenly becomes aaa
  • No they don't
    But they definitely no longer go through with a 200k gross revenue either unless 9 of the 10 life in 2nd or 3rd world countries and you work heavily with freelance outsourcing which I guess might be a reasoning behind this addition to just the 200k €

Keep in mind that indie often is 100k USD gross revenue, not 280k as its with the 200k €