License question

johanz
edited August 2011 in Photon Server
I read that license is bound by server.
So that means if I have an unlimited CCU license, I can only run it on one machine? What if I have two machines to act as the server?
So does this mean that the unlimited license actually translates into "as much as your one machine can handle unless you're a cloud" type license?

Comments

• No that means that you need 2 licenses then as its IP bound.

Question is if you then still need unlimited if you go with two or can go with 2x 1000 CCU if your game is that heavy that an oct core can't handle it anymore
  • But on the licensing store it says per app/server. Does it mean per app AND server, per app OR server or what.
    If it's the first one, that means I am only allowed to have one server per app. Or if it's the second one, means i can have a license for app and unlimited servers.

Very unclear.

And also if what you said is true, can't I just install 5 vms and run one free 100ccu license each? Each vm is assigned a different IP obviously.
  • Its AND from what I recall from the last time the topic came up.

and you are not allowed to do that anyway, the 100ccu is per application, so using 5 100 CCU free licenses is violation of license
  • dreamora wrote:
    Question is if you then still need unlimited if you go with two or can go with 2x 1000 CCU if your game is that heavy that an oct core can't handle it anymore

Just a quick pointer... in the server world 8 core is nothing. With the upcoming AMD 16 core CPU's you'd expect to see up to 64 cores in a machine. In the lower end, 16 cores, 24 cores, 32 cores etc are common today, and not that expensive if you can actually use the horsepower.
  • You are allowed one Free License for up to 100ccu per game.

If you need to run multiple machines for your players, you will need multiple licenses, yes. If your player community is big enough to justify 10 machines, the license cost for Photon is hopefully no longer a problem for you.