New Photon Server won't start and wrong Docs

Hiya,

2 issues...

1. Docs
Docs state that we need to modify the "\LoadBalancing\GameServer1\bin\GameServer.dll.config" to set IP's for when we are NOT running the server on the same machine we are connecting on, but..

That file doesn't exist anymore, and instead there is a "Photon.Loadbalancing.dll.coonfig" file that has a place to out the Public IP.

2. i have stopped and removed the old photon and dashboard services, and installed new services, but Photon won't start when I try to start the services. Im not in a position to re-start the server at the moment, so will try tat later tonight, but I just wanted to write here that it's not working at the moment.

This should just work though without requiring a restart shouldn't it? Or could the old services be cached until a restart?

Comments

• 1. Yep. I noticed this at the last minute, so I just noted the file in the mail. Doc gets an update before next version.

2. To install a new server version, you should remove all existing services for Photon. This makes sure that the path and parameters are correct.
    You at least have to stop the service, to install new files - the executable is not copied to a shadow folder and is locked.

The Dashboard in the Unity Networking package is more or less "disabled":
    The perfmon counters in the Unity Networking package can only be installed on windows 32bit systems, as the binaries are 32bit only. We wanted to keep the package small, so we decided against the 64bit binaries here.
    The server config does not start the Counter Publisher application, so the Dashboard won't get a lot of info.

If the problem remains: Please zip all .log files and attach them here. I could take a look.
  • Ok, I fixed it. Seems Windows Server was encrypting the files (everything green) and that was preventing it from running the service.

I decrypted the files and now its working. Sheesh I HATE windows. OSX version please :-)
  • dreamora
    dreamora
    edited August 2011
    seonr wrote:
    Ok, I fixed it. Seems Windows Server was encrypting the files (everything green) and that was preventing it from running the service.

I decrypted the files and now its working. Sheesh I HATE windows. OSX version please :-)

There will be no osx from what I recall, a linux yeah but no OSX (osx only as pure mono which from what mentioned does not sound like what you want to use for production). Don't forget, there are no osx server hosting offers left anymore basically, apple is not even selling them anymore.

as for the encryption: don't blame Windows, its an OS that does what the user tells it to do and either you or whoever is the admin of the machine told it to encrypt the whole harddisk ... interesting thing is that EFS should actually not break anything as its an invisible layer (like OSX FileVault2 too) that hooks in on the system IO commands
  • Could be a user account problem. From what I read it sounds like each account has its own EFS certificate. If you want to share it with another account you must provide a valid EFS certificate. The photon service runs with the Local System account and not your user account.