Connecting server with playfab

I am trying to realtime cloud server with playfab (JavaScript API).
Using appID generated by playfab, I can get Photon Authentication Token, but I have no idea how to setCustomAuthentication.

Below code results in "Client: Error: 3101 NameServer authentication failed"
var client = new Photon.LoadBalancing.LoadBalancingClient(Photon.ConnectionProtocol.Ws, APPID, "1.0");
var authParam = "username=user1" + "&token=" + TOKEN;
client.setCustomAuthentication(authParam, Photon.LoadBalancing.Constants.CustomAuthenticationType.Custom);
client.connectToRegionMaster("EU");

Can anybody help me?

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @doldom,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Photon custom authentication with PlayFab requires two query string parameters:
    - username: PlayFabId of the user to be authenticated.
    - token: token retrieved from PlayFab.

Please try the following:
    var client = new Photon.LoadBalancing.LoadBalancingClient(Photon.ConnectionProtocol.Ws, APPID, "1.0");
    var authParam = "username=" + PLAYFABID + "&token=" + TOKEN;
    client.setCustomAuthentication(authParam, Photon.LoadBalancing.Constants.CustomAuthenticationType.Custom);
    client.connectToRegionMaster("EU");
  • Hi JohnTube,

Thanks for the reply. I tested with valid PLAYFABID, but it still produces same error.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @doldom,

Are you using PlayFab's Node SDK or another SDK? I did not find a PlayFab JavaScript SDK.

Please make sure that:
    - You are using same AppId to get the token and to connect to Photon. It should be the REALTIME APPID given by PlayFab addon (no CHAT APPID).
    - You are getting the token from PlayFab every time before you connect to Photon (to avoid token expiration).
    - The PLAYFABID is the same as the one for the user logged in to PlayFab.
    - Log the query string "authParam" to make sure you are sending proper values.

If none of the above helped try:
    - add '?' to query string: var authParam = "?username=" + PLAYFABID + "&token=" + TOKEN;
    - try another protocol other than Photon.ConnectionProtocol.Ws, maybe UDP or TCP.

if it still does not work, I will try to reproduce and investigate further.
  • Hi JohnTube,
    Your first suggestion was right. I tried many variation and found something wrong myself.

Your below snippet solved the problem.
    var authParam = "username=" + PLAYFABID + "&token=" + TOKEN;

Thanks again.
  • How do you get the "TOKEN" ?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Mattii97,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

You get it using this PlayFab client API call.