Max Players per Channel?

Hello!

On the "Pricing" page, the max amount of players per channel seems to be 10, with one update every second, before it exceeds the 100 msg/s limit.

But usually the players won't write a message every second and most of them will be idle.
So in theory, can we have 20 players and only 5 of them sending messages every second and still be below the 100 msg/s limit? 5x20x1?
And then i would need to add a cap to the amount of messages a player can send? So if too many messages were sent in the last x seconds, the player needs to wait until he can send more?

What max player count is actually possible?
For a chat room, 10-20 still feels quite low...

Comments

• Hi, Lizzard4000

there is no limit for users count

best,
    ilya
  • So you tell me i should ignore the "Up to 100 messages per second and channel are allowed" part and just allow as many players as i want?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hi @Lizzard4000,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

As @chvetsov mentioned there is no limit for the number of subscribers per a channel and there is no limit of total chat users per app.

I do not understand your concern. The 100msg/s per channel should be enough to have 100 subscribers send a message every second inside a channel.
  • Thanks for the answer @JohnTube !

I'm a bit confused, because if i set the "Players per Channel" to 100 and "Messages per Player & Second" to 1, i get a result of 10,000 "Total per Second & Channel", on the pricing page.

But if you tell me that 100 players in one room is not too much then i'm relieved : )
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hi @Lizzard4000,

after posting on the other discussion here I found out that I was indeed wrong in the comment above.

Here is how to count messages in chat (applies to both public and private channels):

# msgs / second / channel = N * X * (N + 1)

N = # subscribers inside the channel
    X = # msgs per subscriber per second

for private channels, N = 2

so for
    N = 100
    X = 1
    ==> 10100