Drag in 2D simulation

Hi,

We're trying to port TrueSync in our game, CapRiders: Euro Soccer:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/492200

in order to develop a stable and reliable multiplayer online.

In this game we use a simple 2D physics, and we modulate character's mass and drag at runtime in order to create a good feeling.

We've tried to reproduce this setup using TrueSync physics, but with the same values the result is very different, in particular with linear drag. Is it correct?

In Box2D, the linear drag of a rigidbody is applied during each Solve step:

v *= 1 / (1 + deltaTime * linearDrag)

How drag is applied in your custom engine?

Thanks a lot,

Devis

Comments

• Hi @Devis,

The 2D physics engine use the following calculation:

NewVel = (1 - deltaTime * linearDrag) * Vel

If you find any problems related to it you can reply here, thanks for the feedback.
  • Ok, so it is different from the drag computed by Unity's physics 2d engine.

I'll do some tests.
  • Thanks @Devis, our goal is to keep the same behaviour as Unity when possible, in future releases we should have the same computation as you expected ( properly present in changelog ).
  • Thanks @JeffersonHenrique! When we can expect a new version of TrueSync? Do you have a public roadmap?
  • Hi Devis,

We don't have a public roadmap yet, but we're trying to send updates every other week (sometimes even faster). We'll have a new one before the holidays...:)
  • I'm also looking for this same behaviour so I don't have to rebalance my game (Blockships) to integrate Truesync. hope this gets sorted soon
  • Nice @drdavient, we have always this in mind, to keep the same behaviour as Unity as far we can.
  • How can we actually set the drag value of a TSRigidBody2D? Is this a future feature or have I missed something?
  • Hi Drdavient,

There is the internal drag property, but it's not exposed yet. Jefferson is logging everything that's asked for here and will add most of these in the next 1.0.7 release (second week of January).