Room msg limit?

Hey there,

I'm wondering if Photon Voice also got a msg limit of 500 msg/room?

I'm asking because Photon Voice is definitely exceeding it for me easily. My game is rather complex and I managed to optimize Photon Network to stay way below 500 msg/room. But for Photon Voice I'm already using Threshold Detection (even higher values than recommended) and just having 4 players already exceeds 500 msg/room easily. Unlike Photon Network I got not too much options to optimize and I even would like to have 10 players.

What can I do or is Photon Voice not affected by a 500 msg/room limit and I'm fine?

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hi @Dummie,

I'm asking because Photon Voice is definitely exceeding it for me easily.
    [...]
    But for Photon Voice I'm already using Threshold Detection (even higher values than recommended) and just having 4 players already exceeds 500 msg/room easily.

Could you please tell us how did you come up with that conclusion? What do you mean by "Threshold Detection"? Photon Analytics page for your app should give you information about the messages usage statistics.

And Photon Voice has the 500 msg/s/room limit as stated in the pricing page.
  • Dummie
    Dummie
    edited November 2016
    JohnTube said:

Hi @Dummie,

I'm asking because Photon Voice is definitely exceeding it for me easily.
    [...]
    But for Photon Voice I'm already using Threshold Detection (even higher values than recommended) and just having 4 players already exceeds 500 msg/room easily.

Could you please tell us how did you come up with that conclusion? What do you mean by "Threshold Detection"? Photon Analytics page for your app should give you information about the messages usage statistics.

And Photon Voice has the 500 msg/s/room limit as stated in the pricing page.
    I'm coming up with that conclusion because that is what the Analytics page is telling me:
    3 CCU MAX
    453 Msg/s

More players do indeed exceed 500 msg/s but I got no access to older stats at the moment.

My PhotonVoiceSettings:
    AutoConnect: true
    AutoDisconnect: true
    AutoTransmit: true
    SamplingRate: 24000
    FrameDuration: 20ms
    Bitrate: 28000
    VoiceDetection: true
    VoiceDetectionThreshold: 0.03
    PlayDelayMs: 300
    DebugLostPercent: 0
    DebugInfo: false

The VoiceDetectionThreshold was what I was refering to by Threshold Detection.

I simply got no idea how I could make it anymore reasonable and supporting only 3 players is definitely not enough.
  • Hi,

With FrameDuration=20ms, you have 1000/20 = 50 msg/sec/player.
    Try to increase this value. The only downside is slightly higher delay.
  • I could not try it yet but I had another testing with 6 players. The msg/s was 1808. This number makes most likely sense because: 50 * 6 * 6 = 1800.

However chances are that the PhotonVoiceSettings have not been applied because this singleton solution might have caused to create another instance. I will need to test it again...
  • I did some more testing. I changed the Frame Duration to 40ms and the Voice Detection Threshold to 0.05. I also verified that the settings are definitely applied.

5 players are causing 1100 msg/s now. That is still twice as much as "allowed". I really would like to support at least 10 players but 12 would be awesome.

I really think that is nothing unreasonable and should be possible? Should I set FrameDuration to 60 ms? Does reducing the Bitrate help? Should I increase the Voice Detection Threshold even further (I'm afraid increasing it even further might block actual voices)?

I'm using the same prefab for the local player and for all other players. I was not sure if multiple PhotonVoiceRecorder might send data multiple times thats why I disable it for remote players but that does not seem to help as well. Should I use Destroy to get rid of it completely? Or is all that not needed anyway?

I'm really running out of ideas and I need your help more than ever.
  • Dummie said:

Should I set FrameDuration to 60 ms?

If you want to decrease number of messages, yes. Unfortunately, opus codec does not support larger buffers.
    Does reducing the Bitrate help?
    It only helps to reduce bandwidth. Msg/sec is not affected.
    Should I increase the Voice Detection Threshold even further (I'm afraid increasing it even further might block actual voices)?
    You should adjust it slighter higher than background noise level (better with calibration option on client in runtime).

I'm using the same prefab for the local player and for all other players. I was not sure if multiple PhotonVoiceRecorder might send data multiple times thats why I disable it for remote players but that does not seem to help as well. Should I use Destroy to get rid of it completely? Or is all that not needed anyway?

I'm really running out of ideas and I need your help more than ever.
    Why you suspect that client sends more than required? The msg/sec from FrameDuration calculation gives numbers other than you actually have?
  • Well, I just want it to work and thats why I'm trying a lot of stuff. Yesterday 8 users did test the game again and it works absolutely perfect but Photon Voice is generating 2300 msg/sec.

If you calculate 1000/40 * 8 * 8 = 1600. msg/sec. As you can see the statistics did show higher numbers (+700 msg/sec) and stuff like that made me trying to disable the PhotonVoiceRecorder on the player prefab.

The next thing I will do is to increase the FrameDuration to 60 ms and to increase the Voice Detection Threshold even higher.

But I really suppose it still won't be enough. To allow 12 players I would need to bring it down to 3 msg/sec per player. I feel like it is impossible and I'm very sad because I love PUN and I managed to optimize the hell out of my game to keep it reasonable. But I slowly run out of ideas for Photon Voice...
  • Is they any way to allow me to exceed the limits? Like paying some extra money or whatever? The game won't have too much CCU anyway.

I really would like to publish this very soon but I'm with my back at the walls and time is ticking against me...

Would be great to have a private chat do discuss some of this stuff.