Simple MMO possible in Photon Unity Networking?

Squalol
Squalol
edited August 2016 in Any Topic & Chat
Hi all, Im trying to make a simple top-down MMO. Think of it like a slightly more complex agar.io (diep.io to be more precise since it will be vehicles with weapons), where i want to have at least 50-100 people per instance, but i also want to save the "gold/score" the player achieves between play sessions. So i would need some kind of persistence and to have an authoritative server to prevent easy hacking if im not mistaken. Is this possible with Photon Unity Networking (using the cloud) or I need to look into photon server?

Thank you ver much in advance!

Comments

• With that number of players, you might want to look into the Photon Server, too. This gives you more control over which updates you send to which player. That's important to manage server-side, to avoid issues with bandwidth and number of updates.

The Photon Server Plugin might be a good middle ground for you to start with.
    https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/onpremise/current/plugins/manual

Client side, you can work with PUN and focus on RaiseEvent.

Please note: We only host Server Plugins for Enterprise Cloud subscriptions in which you have your own set of servers (which we manage). You can host Photon (with plugins) yourself, too.

I would save account-related data with a service like PlayFab.
  • Tobias said:

With that number of players, you might want to look into the Photon Server, too. This gives you more control over which updates you send to which player. That's important to manage server-side, to avoid issues with bandwidth and number of updates.

The Photon Server Plugin might be a good middle ground for you to start with.
    https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/onpremise/current/plugins/manual

Client side, you can work with PUN and focus on RaiseEvent.

Please note: We only host Server Plugins for Enterprise Cloud subscriptions in which you have your own set of servers (which we manage). You can host Photon (with plugins) yourself, too.

I would save account-related data with a service like PlayFab.

The game is mainly intended to serve as practice and portfolio material, so I'm afraid I cant afford an enterprise cloud subscription. I guess that leaves server out of the equation. I've looked into playfab and I've really liked it at first glance, so my question is, how much would I need to "scale down" the amount of players on each instance to make it work on one of the cheaper PUN PLUS subscriptions, like the one that is 95$ for 100 CCU/60 months?

I know its a bit kamikaze to make this kind of projects as "practice" when im learning, but I really want to make something that I would enjoy playing myself, rather than a "develop and forget" game. Ty in advance for your help!
  • We don't have clear-cut limits for player-numbers, etc.
    Photon supports many different platforms and it also really depends on the developer, how much interaction is doing fine. It could be 4, 8 or 32 or more.
    If this is an exercise, enjoy finding the limits and then try to lift them.