Using photon as a master server only?

Options
johanz
edited May 2011 in Photon Server
Would it be possible to use photon only as a master server that stores server list and info, but leave the actual server stuff to an unrelated server software?

Comments

• dreamora
    Options
    You could do that, but I don't see that making any sense as a simple PHP + MySQL / Flatfile DB could do that too if game listing is all you need (and if you need more, neither of the two is an option)
  • johanz
    Options
    dreamora wrote:
    You could do that, but I don't see that making any sense as a simple PHP + MySQL / Flatfile DB could do that too if game listing is all you need (and if you need more, neither of the two is an option)
    Why not? Well I want to manage not only the servers, but also stats and stuff, like in cod but serverside.
    Seeing as photon can manage mmos, I don't see why it wouldn't be good for this job?
  • dreamora
    Options
    It can do a good job in that.
    But its a total overkill as a webservice can do it too and its much simpler to maintain (you fire up a new webserver instance, done) and you will find significantly more PHP / Python / ASP.NET programmers than photon programmers to develop and maintain your backend.

I'm a fan of Photon, but in this case where you really only make Photon do the job of a dumb webservice, I wouldn't even consider to use it.

If you used the photon node also for chat and lobby for games in prep but not started yet, yeah then we talk about a reason to use it, or generally the moment something "more realtime than sending RESTful requests" is required :)