Server address

rokawar
rokawar ✭✭
Hello,

I have seen that you have added australia to your server list and that you have planned to add the brazil also (my players will be very happy).

When you check this page http://doc.exitgames.com/en/pun/current ... ce/regions , we can see that you use a token now to connect to the server.

But i use the old system "PhotonNetwork.Connect" where i use the address of the server. By playing with google search i have found the adrress name "app-au.exitgamescloud.com" .

Can you add a section to your page in the case of the user use the address string to connect ?

Have a good day.

Comments

• Tthe old PhotonNetwork.Connect() method will become obsolete in future, so we would like to encourage all our customers to update their Client SDKs and switch to the new connect methods, using a token.
  • Hello,

While it is cool to have new servers (and a must i would say :)), for some game this has also a negative effect. Since while it give better ping as a positive side, on the other side of the medal, it fragment the user base. So from game dev perspective, we need to figure out what best fit our game,
    1) connect to the best ping server
    2) restraint the number of server to not fragment too much the user base
    3) or let the user choose (which is a little bit awkward, the user should not have to deal with that).

I was thinking, it would be awesome if from the Photon Cloud, game dev could choose to have those servers abstracted, but still have the possibility as currently to choose their own way. What it would do is that players would be always connecting to their best ping server, but that would not necessarily means all the players in the room are on this server. So when it is not the case, the server should forward the request to the target server, back and forth. Of course that would means an higher ping, but it would allow from a dev game perspective to not have his user base fragmented, it might make sense for some games, like mine which is an FPS. But that could also complexity the Photon solution too.

Cheers,
    Don T.
  • I added this function to PhotonNetwork.cs, which allows you to connect to any specific region. Using this, in my game for instance, I have a lobby screen that allows users to switch between regions on the fly. So you could use this to restrict regions as well:
    	public static bool ConnectToRegionCloudServer(CloudRegionCode region, string gameVersion)
    	{
    		Debug.Log("Connecting to region lobby: " + region.ToString());
    		if (PhotonServerSettings == null)
    		{
    			Debug.LogError("Can't connect: Loading settings failed. ServerSettings asset must be in any 'Resources' folder as: " + PhotonNetwork.serverSettingsAssetFile);
    			return false;
    		}

if (PhotonServerSettings.HostType == ServerSettings.HostingOption.OfflineMode)
    		{
    			return PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings(gameVersion);
    		}

networkingPeer.IsInitialConnect = true;
    		networkingPeer.SetApp(PhotonServerSettings.AppID, gameVersion);

return networkingPeer.ConnectToRegionMaster(region);

bool couldConnect = PhotonNetwork.networkingPeer.ConnectToNameServer();
    		return couldConnect;
    	}

lobby.png
  • Nicole wrote:
    Tthe old PhotonNetwork.Connect() method will become obsolete in future, so we would like to encourage all our customers to update their Client SDKs and switch to the new connect methods, using a token.

And what happen to your user who have buy a server licence to run the loadbalancing in some country ( as exemple in italia,spain ...) and who use your cloud in same time?

The .Connect() is still needed.
  • FamerJoe wrote:
    I added this function to PhotonNetwork.cs, which allows you to connect to any specific region.
    More simple solution is setting preferred region in pun settings or in code before calling ConnectUsingSettings:

PhotonNetwork.PhotonServerSettings.PreferredRegion = region;
    PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings("1.0");
  • Thanks guys for your hints :).

It remains that the user base is fragemented. FamerJoe your screenshot looks good BTW :).

On my side, I wanted to abstract all those stuff in my game (servers, creating rooms, etc). It gives less flexibility, but it is simpler for the player, and since my game is for mobile, simple is a good thing :). In my case since i don't want to fragment my user base too much, but still have a acceptable ping, I'm supporting only 3 regions server currently which is US, EU and JP. At run-time I ping every of those, and connects to the best one. I will have to do some test to see if the ping time is still acceptable for example for player in Australia, which will probably connect to JP server. I don't really want to use the Australia server as this means fragment user base again, and also I want player to play against player from other countries as well.

In my game, the user press play, and that's done. It will be connected to his nearest region server, and will join a room with nearest as the player skill's, otherwise any available, and otherwise it will create one.

Regards,
    Don T.