source code for Bootcamp Demo

thetnswe
thetnswe ✭✭
edited July 2011 in DotNet
Where can I download the complete project for Bootcamp Demo.. Here is the link that I found for the Bootcamp Demo and it's just like an documentation and not the full complete project. Can you please redirect to the download page wheere I can download this demo.
http://developer.exitgames.com/bootcampmultiplayerdemo

Comments

• It's been approved for the unity asset store, I assume it's goin live tomorrow morning (morning in San Francisco).
  • wow... great.. really keen to see that demo.. :)
  • I've seen it in the Asset Store now.
  • I started a forum discussion here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/79993-Bootcamp-Multiplayer-Demo
    And this is the link to the asset store download: http://u3d.as/content/exit-games/bootcamp-multiplayer-demo/1As
  • Hi.. The link is not working for me..

The requested URL /content/exit-games/bootcamp-multiplayer-demo/1As was not found on this server.

May be can you upload into your own server so don't have to wait from Unity asset store to approve as the link from the asset store is also broken
  • there were technical problems (see unity forum - first link above), hope it's fixed soon
  • Big thanks to everyone involved in the creation of the demo! :)
  • There server to download the bootcamp demo is still down.. I hope it fixed soon
  • Long ago that we waited for an example of good quality, but do not offer advertising and harms the image of EXIT GAMES.

Be quick ...

Put on the demo site Exit Games in the download area and then solve the technical problems with the asset store for Unity
  • you are right.. until unity gets this resolved you can download the package from here: ftp://216.151.161.122/
  • I've tried launching the demo project - and it works! *happy*.

Is there any place where I could read about traffic\bandwidth consumption for projects made with Photon?
    I understand that numbers may vary greatly depending on the type of the game - but it would still be nice to find out some ranges ;).
  • the numbers really do depend on each game.. send rate, size and number of operations/events per second, ratio of reliable/unreliable traffic.. and so on.
    But to give you a feeling.. 8 players x 230 games sending 10 movement updates / sec consumes 11MB/s.. 1360 x 2-Player games just 6.5 MB/s and 5 players x 440 games 9 MB/s. You do the math :)
  • Thanks for the numbers! ;)

Just to clarify what we're talking about: "MB" is for megabyte or for megabit?
  • mega byte
  • these numbers are calculate on the Non-Interest management games right? If we're doing interest management into these, it might reduce the bandwidth alot again.. Is that right? lets say 11MB/s data transfer that my MMO has, how about the cloud hosting package to run these games? Is that gonna cost several thousands per month? 11MB/s means 660MB/ mintute and 39600MB/ hour and 950400MB per day and 28512000MB per month which could cost you serveral thousands dollars to host it on amazon EC2 cloud? How about neutron? Does it include unlimited player and also hosted solution at 1000$/month?
  • Data transfer over 150 TB per Month cost $0.080 per GB/month on Amazon EC2 and even with these amount, it would cost more than 2000$/month... So Neutron is alot cheaper than using external cloud servers
  • Because of that I would not recommend on demand cloud instances as primary hosting solution. There are many offers out there for dedicated servers with unlimited bandwidth. The cloud is only good for scaling in peak situations.
  • That answer the question. I am pretty noob in these server and hosting stuffs. So dedicated servers are good enough to handle these amount of data transfer right? Which one is faster? Cloud or Dedicated server on the large amount of data transfer in MMO?
  • Well for an MMO you need a cluster, so you would likely go to a cloud but not an "on demand cloud" but one where your servers are permanentely rented over time not "usage minutes".
  • Boris wrote:
    the numbers really do depend on each game.. send rate, size and number of operations/events per second, ratio of reliable/unreliable traffic.. and so on.
    But to give you a feeling.. 8 players x 230 games sending 10 movement updates / sec consumes 11MB/s.. 1360 x 2-Player games just 6.5 MB/s and 5 players x 440 games 9 MB/s. You do the math :)

A noob question about send rate! :)
    I've tested Unity's networking - and send rate for state sync (unreliable network views) seems to variate wildly (if I set it to 10, I get 9 in general, but under some conditions I can get around 4.5). Is it ordinary for networking solution?

How does Photon behave from this point of view?
    Is there any good place to read about send rates in general? (it seems I have some serious misunderstanding about it)
    What factors can affect it?

thanks,
    Slav
  • gnoblin wrote:
    A noob question about send rate! :)
    I've tested Unity's networking - and send rate for state sync (unreliable network views) seems to variate wildly (if I set it to 10, I get 9 in general, but under some conditions I can get around 4.5). Is it ordinary for networking solution?

How does Photon behave from this point of view?
    Is there any good place to read about send rates in general? (it seems I have some serious misunderstanding about it)
    What factors can affect it?

The effect you describe has less to do with actual networking than with simple timing and performance issues. Networking is just another task for the machine your game runs on. It uses the CPU like many other parts of your game. If something else takes longer, the networking is affected as well. Consider it a framerate drop.
    Photon is affected by this in much the same ways. Accepting incoming data is done in a thread assigned by the OS but aside from this, the client-side timing is in your hands. Call SendOutgoingCommands() and DispatchIncomingCommands() as regularly as you can, like and need.
  • If we're doing interest management into these, it might reduce the bandwidth alot again.. Is that right? lets say 11MB/s data transfer that my MMO has, how about the cloud hosting package to run these games? Is that gonna cost several thousands per month??????