Unity3d Sample Assets First Person Example Ported to Photon

Trixer
Trixer
edited September 2014 in Tutorials and Code Sharing
Sup Dudes and Dudettes!

So today I decided to start a multiplayer FPS, first thing I did was convert the unity3d sample assets FPS example to work with Photon. I figured others could benefit from this project.

So here is the link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/142 ... tonFPS.zip

I don't really have a desire to make it a github project, cause all in all it was pretty straight forward and easy, worked off the example pun scripts as well as the unity ones.. I didnt "really" write much of the code myself... so really credit goes to those who already did this stuff.. I just umm.. copy and paste ninja'ed it, and organized the player object correctly.

It seems a little "glitchy" but I haven't really done much smoothing or prediction with network, plus my internet is not the best, so my ping spikes pretty high at times, so it might just be me.

Either way let me know what you think or if it was helpful!

Comments

• Protip:

Setting the FirstPersonNetworkPlayer prefab (in the game->resources folder) to "unreliable on changed" on the photonview, drastically decreases the "glitchyness"
  • It's cool you ninja'ed your way through this and even have a pro-tip!
    Do you think you want to turn this in to a little tutorial with some blog post about how you did things? The bare project alone is probably a bit daunting for others to find the changes you did.
  • Tobias wrote:
    It's cool you ninja'ed your way through this and even have a pro-tip!
    Do you think you want to turn this in to a little tutorial with some blog post about how you did things? The bare project alone is probably a bit daunting for others to find the changes you did.

I had thought about that, however I feel like all the other tutorials basically just cover what I have done, I kind of feel like I would just be reinventing the wheel and not really "bringing" much to the community, other then another watered down tutorial that does not really teach anything differently then it already is everywhere else.

However, I was thinking about expanding the project and doing tutorials on more touchy subjects like weapons, radar, and stuff like that.
  • Ok, makes sense.
    I was just thinking a little help where the modifications are and links to the tutorials you used would give some context for the package.
    Looking forward to your experiments :)
  • Thanks much for the first person example. Worked flawlessly; a lot to learn from this, for sure. Now, just wondering if you have a Third Person Example coming soon?

Good stuff..
  • The worker example that comes with the pun (also I think its included in my project) basically is a 3rd person example :)
  • There is a great tutorial on youtube for fps multiplayer game!

Go for Quill18's tutorials! Very easy!
  • Has anyone attempted Angry Bots multiplayer in the fps fashion? I've spent money now and burnt on trying to get that Angry Bots to a fps camera for multiplayer.I've had no luck with the unity assets modifying them to work with photon (simply cuz i have zero experience with photon and so far its the best multiplayer solution i've been able to locate for my site)
  • I don't think that the Angry Bots demo assets are built for a first person camera. E.g. there is no ceiling for any room...

Get UFPS from the Asset Store and it the Multiplayer extension.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2943