Help with players hosting a game

Options
Hey,

I'm pretty new to Photon and networking in general, I've been working on a project using Unity Networking which is just to get familiar with network based programming, but for my actual project I'm planning I'd like to use Photon as it does seem a lot easier to use and has things like a name property for players.

The only issue I've had is that I don't really want to use the Photon Cloud (I tried it but there was a bit of latency that I don't get using Unity Networking) and I don't really want to use a dedicated server software.. I was wondering if it's possible to do a Unity Networking style 'start server', where a player can literally host the game and others can join (via IP), all from in-game.

I'd assume this is possible but in my look at Photon I couldn't really see a way to do this. I may include cloud servers as well but I'd like to have self hosted games as the main form of playing.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-Ben

Comments

• vadim
    Options
    Photon was designed with focus on low latency. Unity Networking hardly can beat it if clients are remote. But if you measure latency in local network and local Unity server then Unity obviously win.
    So if you target that extreme small lags then I suppose that your game is for local network playing. If so, Photon Server with 'redistributable' license can fit your requirements. It still needs internet connection to work but sends all game traffic locally.
  • vadim wrote:
    Photon was designed with focus on low latency. Unity Networking hardly can beat it if clients are remote. But if you measure latency in local network and local Unity server then Unity obviously win.
    So if you target that extreme small lags then I suppose that your game is for local network playing. If so, Photon Server with 'redistributable' license can fit your requirements. It still needs internet connection to work but sends all game traffic locally.

Ah that's a good point actually, the issue I was having was that I may be targeting a pretty large audience with my project (and I'm the only one working on it), so I was a bit wary with using Photon Cloud as I don't know how the free cloud would handle a large amount of users (and I don't really have the money to upgrade).

I didn't see the redistributable license so I shall take a look at it when I get home from work.

Thanks.