Flash and the Cloud

sebas77
edited October 2012 in Flash (deprecated)
Hi,

I am not sure where to start from to use the photon flash sdk with the cloud. Could you show me some examples/tutorial?

Comments

• We only have the samples included in the SDKs and I'm not aware of any Flash tutorials by our users, sadly.

Once you registered for the Photon Cloud, your Dashboard shows an AppId. This is what identifies your clients of your game.

The Flash SDK includes a LoadBalancing demo. This is the client to use the Cloud. AppID and server are setup through the html page (in our demo, to make it easy to configure both).

From there on, I hope that the demo and reference will help you using Photon.

The general documentation is online:
    http://doc.exitgames.com/photon-cloud
  • may I ask what the difference is between PhotonLoadBalancingAS3.swc and PhotonCoreAs3?
  • One works with Lite, which is a single server backend, the other with LoadBalancing / PhotonCloud which is a multiserver, load balanced backend
  • dreamora wrote:
    One works with Lite, which is a single server backend, the other with LoadBalancing / PhotonCloud which is a multiserver, load balanced backend

Couldn't express it better :)
    The LoadBalancing API implements the workflow needed to work with multiple servers (a Master and any number of Game Servers), workflow and state and implements some supporting classes. You can use this with the LoadBalancing Server application (host your server yourself) or with Photon Cloud (we host the servers).
  • Just to understand, can the LoadBalancing library be used even if I am using one (hosted) server? If so, why should I ever use the other library?
  • Yes, you can run Photon - LoadBalancing instance even if you just host it on a single machine. it will still be 2+ 'servers' though independent of that.

The other one is the old library which existed since photon 1 already and prior to the LoadBalancing was used for 'room based' games

also multi server assembly server side development is quite a bit trickier than the Lite Application is
  • dreamora wrote:
    Yes, you can run Photon - LoadBalancing instance even if you just host it on a single machine. it will still be 2+ 'servers' though independent of that.

The other one is the old library which existed since photon 1 already and prior to the LoadBalancing was used for 'room based' games

also multi server assembly server side development is quite a bit trickier than the Lite Application is

Ok, I implemented my first demo with Photon cloud...I have some questions about it, can I ask them here?
  • Sure. If it's complex, post a new topic with a title hinting at the type of problem please.
  • Thanks, Photo Load Balancing come with the complete source code, is it possible to have the PhotonCore source code as well?
  • No, only the applications that run on top of the technology are available in source (as they are sample applications kinda)
    the socket server is not available in source, as thats not possible for obvious reasons (licensing)
  • Sure I was not talking about the server side, but the client API...I do not see why part of it is clear and the other part is not
  • At the moment we don't plan to open the code for the Photon AS3 Core (or any client lib).
    Let us know if you miss something or need a change. We're happy with feedback.
  • so far the only reason why I would have liked to have it has been the value of the constant for debugging purposes :)
  • Oh, right. Constant values.
    On other platforms we already have those values in the documentation but AS3 is a bit behind here. Good point though.