Unit3d, Photon & Mac OS X

Options
I am working on a mac, with unity3d, and would very much like to use photon for multiplayer/mmo.
I am fairly new at game developing, but have been working my way through the 3dbuzz material and still learning c# as well as unity3d.
Right now I am taking part in the MMO development classes, and they are using photon - unity for this. Being on a mac, I have been researching all day to find a good workaround to be able to work on these same systems.
Would there be any issues with setting up photon via windows bootcamp (on my mac) and then come back to os x to connect to it?

Today I downloaded the photon cloud, thinking this might let me do it all from unity... or would I still need to setup the server in windows? (sorry to have to ask)

I would appreciate any help or guidance in making this work, and unfortunately the only windows OS I have is on my mac (bootcamp).

thanks

kindly
frank shortt

Comments

• Would there be any issues with setting up photon via windows bootcamp (on my mac) and then come back to os x to connect to it?
    Not a problem at all.
    Today I downloaded the photon cloud, thinking this might let me do it all from unity... or would I still need to setup the server in windows? (sorry to have to ask)
    No server necessary - that is the whole point. And we wrote it everywhere ;).
  • VirtualBox A Windows Bootcamp Alternative

You could also install Oracles VirtualBox to run windows it's free !!!

Install windows in a 10GB slice on your macs hdd. Then you can run Unity and photon at the same time in seamless mode. I'm doing this to run MS Visual Studio on my Mac.

ExitGames - Any new word on getting Photon for us Linux users?
  • Would there be any issues with setting up photon via windows bootcamp (on my mac) and then come back to os x to connect to it?
    Not a problem at all.
    No server necessary - that is the whole point. And we wrote it everywhere ;).

Great! just had to check before I get started :)

much appreciated!

cheers

f
  • Tomo wrote:
    VirtualBox A Windows Bootcamp Alternative

You could also install Oracles VirtualBox to run windows it's free !!!

Install windows in a 10GB slice on your macs hdd. Then you can run Unity and photon at the same time in seamless mode. I'm doing this to run MS Visual Studio on my Mac.

Cheers for that hint, will try it out. Already bootcamped my hdd with 60gig for gaming :) but this would be a better work environment indeed.

thanks a lot

kindly
    f
  • fshortt wrote:
    Cheers for that hint, will try it out. Already bootcamped my hdd with 60gig for gaming :) but this would be a better work environment indeed.

I think there are ways to migrate your bootcamp install to boot inside a virtual space. There are also some neat hacks to run both.
  • Tomo wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75&p=3647&hilit=linux#p3647

I'd love this too. In this thread they say their working on it :D