Photon/Unity/MMO Demo Questions

Options
mmetcalfe
edited October 2011 in DotNet
Trying to get a grasp of how to do too many things at once so hoping someone can shed some insight on what should be simple things (I think).

Background: We are building a FPS and using the MMO demo as a "powerup" for the server side.

1.) On the client, the player gets to choose one of various "classes" and a team color for the match. Should I replace the MyItem Avatar variable in the Photon.MmoDemo.Client.Game class to be our own (AvatarItem) class that has more of our game-specific stuff in it OR should I just keep using the MyItem and add more properties to it (ala SetColor/SetText, etc)?

2.) Would player health, energy, experience all be best handled in either of these solutions listed in #1?

3.) What is the best way to handle player health when they should be hit by a projectile from another player?
e.g. PlayerA fires a shot at PlayerB. Does the client determine if PlayerB is hit and by how much or should some sort of operation be sent to the server to determine if it is a hit? If to the server, any rough outline on what that would look like would be appreciated -- I assume it would be some sort of operation sent by PlayerA that would then, through server logic, determine if it was a hit, then if it was a hit send the response back to PlayerA and send an Event out to inform the other clients of the hit.

Thanks for any advice,
Michael

Comments

• I would suggest that you take a look at their Bootcamp Multiplayer Demo found here... http://doc.exitgames.com/v3/bootcampmultiplayerdemo and also if its a FPS I would think you would use that demo anyways and add the Interest area code from the MMO demo yourself... That way you already have code to work off of for the handling of HP and shit like that.