How to run Instance1 and Loadbalancing at same time?

White Rabbit
edited October 2011 in Photon Server
We have a need to run Instance1 for a generic game system, but also are trying to work with some Unity based games. If Loadbalancing is running, we cannot start the Instance1 service. What is the solution if trying to support both types of games from the same server?

Comments

• You need to open the configuration and change the ports.

by default they would otherwise bind to the same ports which isn't gonna work.

Question is also why you need all 3 application types (lite, mmo and load balancing) under the assumption that the license covers 1 application & server per license and a single application can never be on all 3 type of frameworks in parallel.

Question is do you really need both? Cause LoadBalancing is a superset of Lite, it is not that complex to upgrade a lite game there. If you are using MMO then you don't want them to run on the same machine out of my view, they would attack each other heavily.
  • We have one two-player game that needs simple communication which we have implemented using Instance1. We are also working on a Unity based game. In either case, they will initially fall under the free license agreement since concurrent users will be less than 100. In the development phase, we want to run all types on one server since load is not an issue when testing. If we can successfully demonstrate the two-player game to our client, he will be purchasing a license for it this week.

If it is "not that complex" to upgrade loadbalancing to handle a lite game, can you provide a little more detail as to how to do it? If Loadbalancing is just a superset of lite, why bother with both Instance and Loadbalancing rather than just combining them?

Love your rapid response to questions. Keep up the good work.
  • Hehe. Dreamora isn't working for us but "freelance" community helper. Nevertheless, he's answering quite quickly.
    So, thanks from our side as well :)

We have several applications server side, because we also hand out their code. Loadbalancing adds a layer of complexity which is not needed if you just want to understand room based game logic.

For development: The Gameserver of the Loadbalancing project behaves mostly like a Lite implementation. If you connect with port 5056 you will reach the gameserver. Give it a try.
  • Instance1 does not only contain Lite but also the MMO Application. Thats why its required there.
    Though I personally would prefer if future Photon 3 versions would offer 3 applications:

1. Lite
    2. MMO
    3. LoadBalancing

to make clear what you start up. It never made sense to me that MMO is fired up along lite + litelobby as you are definitely never going to use both, its impossible to get more 'mututally exclusive' with a project ;) But I guess it was a side effect of MMO being added and worked out during Photon 2 when all was sitting within a single instance for 'new user' simplicity. Now with LoadBalancing though I don't see it adding simplicity anymore, only confusion.

On the other hand: you should change the configuration to your needs anyway. The provided Instance1 is just an example for all those so you get an idea what and how to set it up for your own purpose. Commonly you work with 1 layer only (I consider Lite + LiteLobby as one layer), so you can cut the rest from the configuration. You can even remove the second instance from photon control without a problem or completely replace it. Thats what I did for our project to prevent confusion over which one to start for the rest of the team that are not Photon savy.

@Tobias: thanks for the clarification on me just being another Photon user. That I was that fast was a by product of me looking for an answer here :) But I've now updated my signature to prevent any kind of confusion