Messages per second incorrect?

Options
Hello,

I just wanted to make sure I am not going crazy here. I have a bit of a problem with the messages per second, it looks like either the analyze page on photonengine.com is incorrect or I am doing something completely wrong.

So, going back to the photon engine manual on page 1, the realtime intro it says:

"Call Service: The LoadBalancing API is built to integrate well with your game logic. You can fine-control when you want to handle incoming messages and how often you send anything. Internally, both directions are buffered until your game calls LoadBalancingClient.Service()."

So if I understand this correctly, if I call opRaiseEvent 2 times for example before calling service, it counts as 1 message since the 2 messages got buffered. However, if I make a simple testbed for this and I’m checking the analyze page after a few minutes, the statistics show that it counted as 2 messages instead (or 3 messages if I called opRaiseEvent 3 times before calling service).

I tried this out by simply connecting 4 clients to a room, then after they are connected I am initializing an update timer that fires every 1/8th of a second:
-(void)update
{
    [client opRaiseEvent:YES :@"123" :0];
    [client opRaiseEvent:YES :@"456" :1];

[client service];
}
So, according to the photon realtime pricing page, this should equal to 128 messages per second (4 players + 8 messages per player & second). Displayed in the analytics page however are 256 messages per second, just as if every time a player calls opRaiseEvent it would count as a single message.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong here? (I am using the latest Objective-C SDK by the way.)

Thanks!

Comments

• Kaiserludi
    Options
    Hi @domp_.

This is a misunderstanding.

Each operation request, operation response and event always counts as one message. It does not matter for this, how many messages get aggregated into the same UDP packet.

So the analytics page is correct.
  • domp_
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying. I will try to pack everything into a single message then and call opRaiseEvent once.