Native SDK 4.1.3.3 app rejected by Apple due to IPv6 issue

Hi,

there are a couple of discussion going on about Apple rejecting apps using latest PUN sdk due to IPv6 issue. I wanted to point out that the C++ native sdk is having the same issue as well.

we are using 4.1.3.3 C++ SDK for the client, and using v3.4.31.10808 for our own Photon server. we tested IPv6 network under DNS64/NAT64 environment as suggested in Apple document using a Mac OS X shared internet connection. When we test in our environment everything works, however Apple Review team is having problem connecting to game room. Apple Review team is able to connect to our master lobby, however it failed to connect to game room for them. We have our game room and master lobby in the same server, and we use domain name everywhere(we do not use IP address in config settings anymore) as suggested by photon documentation.

After we appealed to Apple Review team, they approved our app, however, our server log shows that they still couldn't connect to our game room. We submitted another software update this week, and it got rejected again by Apple Review for the same IPv6 reason. Apparently this is an issue that still exists for the App Review team.

is it a known issue from the photon team? I saw that something related to IPv6 got fixed in the PUN version, not sure if this will help the C++ SDK.

Thanks.
K

Comments

• Kaiserludi
    Kaiserludi admin
    edited September 2016
    Hi @KevinB.

I am afraid I can only give you the same recommendations that my colleague Tobias gave in the PUN thread that you are referring to:
    Test your app yourself following Apples testing guidelines (https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/NetworkingInternetWeb/Conceptual/NetworkingOverview/UnderstandingandPreparingfortheIPv6Transition/UnderstandingandPreparingfortheIPv6Transition.html).

- if your tests should fail:
    - test again with our demos
    - should they also fail:
    - report that back to us with the technical specifications of your network
    - should the demos succeed:
    - track down, whats causing the different results between your app and our demos and set up a minimal self-contained reproduction case for us, so that we can debug
    - if your tests should succeed:
    - resubmit and mention to Apple that your app passes your tests setup following their very own guides and ask them what the difference is between their internal test setup and the test setup that they recommend to everyone else
    - very likely they will just accept your app then
    - however if you are especially lucky, they may give you some hints for why an app might pass the test setup from their guide, but not their internal one
    - in that case please report that information back to us, so we might be able to find out, what is going on
    Kind regards,
    Stefan.
  • so are other Photon devs having the same issue with the latest PUN version? do other dev using c++sdk have similar issue?

just want to know the current status on this IPv6 issue. Thanks.

K
  • also did Photon team test the SDK on a real IPv6-only network instead of using shared internet from a Mac? seems like the App Review is using this as their test environment.

K
  • Hi @KevinB.

Yes, there are some devs having this issue with the latest PUN version, but you are the first reporting this for the C++ SDK. It seems like normally apps that are using Photon pass Apples review just fine, but only once out of many apps lets their internal tests fail once, while passing them the next time without any changes. Unfortunately we do not yet have an explanation for this.

No, we have just followed Apples testing guidelines that say that using shared internet from a Mac that only allows IPv6 connection would be perfectly fine. If that should actually make a difference, that would mean there is a bug in their test setup somewhere that.