Questions about state inheritance, hosting in PlayFab, Steam SDK and other before buy.

Options
Hi!

I'm considering buying Photon Bolt. Currently I'm working on some kind of MOBA / RTS game targeted for PC (Steam). To make my prototype I used UNet which looks promising but support from Unity, their docs and bugs are terrifying. So I made a decision to switch to another networking engine while game's in very early phase. First I looked at PUN but limit of 500 msg/s/room is too low for my purposes. Also I don't want Photon Server because of its price (I have very limited budget) and leak of server administration knowledge.

Anyway I red about Bolt abilities. It looks very promising. After reading tutorials and watching some demos on YT, I would say it can meet my expectations. Also upcoming features (Steam, Matchmaking, Relay) are very interesting. But before buy I'd like to know some things.

1. Is it possible to do some kind of inheritance with states? For example I have base Animal class (Animal : Bolt.EntityBehaviour) with properties like health, age etc. Now I want to do next class Fish (Fish : Animal) with some unique properties like swimming speed which are for example in second state (IFishState). Can I somehow do this?
I found this old video about adding virtual states but it seems there aren't those in API docs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnX9wta_Zmk

2. Will Bolt have any problems handling up to 100 quite optimized entities with >10 properties each for up to 4 players?

3. Is it possible to run headless games as dedicated servers using PlayFab services? From docs it looks like yes, but I want to know it for sure.

4. When properties are syncing? At the end of frame, after change or in any other way? I'm interested if, for example, I can do some stuff with properties in for loop (many updates in one frame and sync only final result).

5. I know that upcoming Matchmaking and Relay will probably be paid services. But what about Bolt for Steam SDK? Will it be free for Bolt users?

Greetings,
Piotr

Best Answer

Answers