multi player server

Options
deganderson
edited September 2011 in DotNet
hi,

First things first; no I'm not planning to build wow 2, I'm just learning about online game development.

I am trying to get my head around something. I've read on these forums that you offer no server side unity physics implementation. The idea is that you either write your own or have a, out of process, headless unity running. The latter however "needs relatively much performance" according to Tobias. So I figure that will have an severe impact on the number of players you can support.

Where do I get started with a self build physics implementation? I can't seem to find any examples.

Kind Regards,
Deg

Comments

• Boris
    Options
    There is a similar topic, hope that helps.
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=693
  • Thank you Boris,

I read that thread yes, it is a bit vague though unfortunately :) Either way, there is a great deal of work involved to get the middleware in a usable state for any kind of mmo development using the unity3d/photon route.

So am I right to conclude that for smaller teams the only realistic options are the hero engine cloud or bigworld services?

Kind Regards,
    Deg
  • Boris
    Options
    Using a headless unity3d client for physics should not be too much work at all.
    The server is often not required to have the advanced physics capabilities the clients have so writing a simplified physics tailored to your needs might require less work than you think.
    I have not used the bigworld and hero engine so I cannot tell you how well they integrate with unity.
  • they are complete middleware solutions for both client and server. Thanks, I will go dig to see if I can find a starting point for a serverside physics implementation.