Bolt rooms

This discussion was created from comments split from: Latest Bolt Release.

Answers

• Hey Guys,

I am actually thinking about buying bolt, and adding it to my project. The current version of my game is using the Photon Cloud, but it seems we can't live on without server authority :)

Maybe I will ask the lame questions, but I have no time to go through the documentation and all forum threads to find this out.

The questions:
    - Does bolt allow more "rooms" on one server? I mean if I host a server, how many clients can be served with the same instance? If a room allows 4 vs 4 players, can the same server run more such rooms?
    Can it handle multiple levels loaded? For example 8 players playing level 1, another 8 playing level 2, lading different scenes?

That's the most critical for me, everything else seems to be there already, I can evaluate myself.

Cheers!
  • Aw man, make a new thread for those questions please :) this thread should just be for latest releases.

Bolt doesn't natively create 'rooms' but it's something you can code easily enough. You'd be responsible for separating things basically.

As for supporting multiple scenes, it'd have to be something you code up and would be more difficult. There is a single Bolt server which can handle many clients. Since Bolt is within Unity, if you are dependent upon the server scene being the same as the client scene, this won't work. However, if the server scene were 'generic' it could work. Just take some work making sure different server objects for different games don't interact with each other.

A better approach, I think, would be to have each 'room' running it's own Bolt instance, and have a master server or whatnot just spin up these rooms as needed. 4v4 should allow multiple instances to run on the same host, up to some specific amount that I'm not qualified to judge because I don't know the hardware or specs or game requirements, it's all magical right now.

Other ways to do it, I'm just blathering at this point.

P.S. If a mod can move both of these posts to their own thread, that'd be awesome.
  • Also you can using scoping so players only see things in their "room"