Bolt Tutorial Problems

So while trying to do the basic tutorial 101 there was a problem. This tutorial can't be followed at all because there is already a menu script inside the new release. Removing this script leads to other problems and you fall down the rabbit hole. I also tried removing the entire folder and following the tutorial on the website and it still fails to work.

I was eventually able to see the potential of the Bolt once I delved into the few text documents inside the Unity Bolt folder. There was also an error inside the documents about how to get it to work, You need to add both scenes with the Menu on top to build or it will not work. The problem is this has little explanation of what is going on and I am new to networking.

A working tutorial about all basic classes and functions that are working now is badly needed.

All YouTube and written documentation seems to be going of of much older builds and is a bit hard to figure out.

If anyone can point me to a simple working tutorial for the current build I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Which menu script is causing you a problem, BoltInit? In the readme next to the Sample folder it says to add the scenes to build settings.
  • 1. Add the bolt/sample/bolt_sample/scenes/Level1 to 'Build Settings'.
    If you skip this, Bolt's Scene window won't show any scene.

This is the snippet from inside the instructions, it is missing to add the MainMenue scene also.

While following this tutorial on the Photon website

Bolt 101 - Getting Started
    http://doc.photonengine.com/en/bolt/current/getting-started/bolt-101-getting-started

You are told to create a menu script in the tutorial and it conflicts with the script in
    bolt/sample/bolt_sample/scripts/Gui/Menu.cs

removing the script or the sample folder causes other problems.
  • I will update that doc soon
  • Thanks.

I know it can take a while to redo a tutorial.

I wanted to also point out that because of the menu script in the sample folder anyone who has a menu in their game already and imports the assets will have problems.
  • This should work correctly if you name the new menu script something different like MenuTutorial?
  • Archnail
    Archnail
    edited December 2015
    Ya, that will work, I am sure.

Thanks for the help.