confused about this.. offline LAN? player owned/rented servers?

Options
BuckyLuis
BuckyLuis
edited November 2015 in Any Topic & Chat
hello, (Unity3d)
could someone clear my confusion about this?
so.. could I use photon for a game in which, say, the players choose to play LAN and without any internet at all, say they have no internet connection, no ISP, but they have like 2- x computers connected by LAN

I guess Iam assuming photon is always online because they always show CCU
and the free trial version i tried had like a master server program that talks to photon's system..

Id like the ability for random people to play together (matchmaking/ server lists) over the internet aswell,
but i also want the ability to support offline LAN

what would be the best option for me? .. is it only Bolt that does this?? or the other Photon products aswell.
iam looking into photon, dont know much about it

also, say, could players rent their own servers and it shows up on the server list?
or they can run their own dedicated server host from their own PCs ?

I guess.. i wonder does PUN+ for Unity3d allow this?? .. or its only cloud connecting/matchmaking??
like it says 100 concurrent users, what if the users have no internet, but have LAN?

Comments

• BuckyLuis
    Options
    it seems like Bolt allows for this??
    how does PUN and Bolt compare?
    do they both allow it?

-thanks!
  • BuckyLuis
    Options
    lol guess they dont like to make sales B)
  • Bolt is perfect for this use case: Local Multiplayer in LAN/WLAN environments.
    We are currently building a demo to show this. This will go live in January.

How does Bolt and PUN compare ... sometimes it helps to read the manuals:
    http://doc.photonengine.com/en/bolt/current/reference/photon-vs-bolt
  • Shmoopy
    Shmoopy
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well. Was about to ask the same question. :)

We are building a system that will be deployed in a classroom environment with C# and C++ apps that need to communicate via LAN. No Internet access whatsoever. I'd like to use it exactly the same way I use Lidgren Network Library:

- include the DLL in any app
    - start up a server / client in any app
    - have the apps start sending messages to each other
    - do not need any extra stuff like NAT punch through, load balancing, cloud, etc.

Can I do this with Photon? Just need simple client - server messaging between various C++ or C# apps. Apps vary from C# WPF to Unreal Engine to C++/C# Console utilities.
  • Shmoopy - I think I just answered the options in a ticket you sent by mail.
    - include the DLL in any app
    - start up a server / client in any app
    - have the apps start sending messages to each other
    - do not need any extra stuff like NAT punch through, load balancing, cloud, etc.
    This is exactly what you can do with Photon Bolt.

Photon Server + Cloud (Realtime, Turnbased, Chat, PUN ...) are client-2-server based. Depending on your use cases either p2p or c2s may make more sense.