Match making using a special room?

Options
Hi,

Is there a limitation on the capacity of the room or any problems that I would run into if I employ the below strategy for doing a ladder matchmake system like battle net war3, starcraft sort.

When match make start, player will join into a room "Matchmake Search Room" with some player properties set. Each player will search for a possible candidate within the pool of players in the room automatically by the search heuristics. When a suitable opponent is found, both will decide on a new room name, and proceed on their match make game.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• vadim
    Options
    Hi,

You are limited to number of clients online (ccu) only. So such matchmaking is quite possible. But make sure first that existing Photon matchmaking feature can't do what you want: https://doc.photonengine.com/en/realtime/current/reference/matchmaking-and-lobby
  • squirr3l
    Options
    One reason why I am doing this is because the match making lobby requires one part to be hosting first. That creates some sort of limitations which I am trying to avoid.
  • Tobias
    Options
    Please tell us more. Maybe there is a workaround or something similar possible.
  • squirr3l
    Options
    Hi,

My set up is similar to games like hearthstone / sc2, where players would enter a search mode and find the best suited player in the pool using some annealing of the rating score over a duration. eg. search for around 50 +- 5 for first 10 sec, search for 50 +- 10 in next 10 sec.

It is a 1v1 of setup.

Thus I wasnt sure if the photon matchmaking is suitable for me as if 2 players who joins in the pool ends up with their rating not suitable and hosted their own room, this annealing method will not work and they would be forever waiting for a player.
  • Tobias
    Options
    You could use the SQL Lobby. This allows you to set a skill property for created rooms.
    Before anyone creates a new room, make the clients look up a suitable room. It's up to your client to request rooms with the needed precision (by setting a WHERE filter). In best case, clients try to find a room with good precision, then with less precise filter, etc. You decide how often they try and what is acceptable.

See:
    https://doc.photonengine.com/en/pun/current/tutorials/matchmaking-and-lobby