selecting from premade room on start

Options
arbidh
edited August 2011 in DotNet
I was wondering if its possible to have a selection of pre-created rooms when the the users logs on. For
example if the user belongs to a fireman group they will type in user select fireman group and be placed where
fireman should be placed. If another user that is a policeman comes in they will select the room designated for policeman.
Each user will be placed in the correct spots. If there are more policeman they will join that room. Or better according
to what the user chooses they will be placed in that category and the correct room. Do I need to extend the litelobby for this?
Also this would be used for a unity 3d world . Currently the setup is that each user logs on creates a room and is placed in that room. Also the basic chat can be initiated.

Comments

• Boris
    Options
    I think you should use room name prefixes for each group, "Policeman_room1" for instance.
    A separate decision is where to filter the displayed rooms. Server side filtering requires you to modify the server code.
  • Tobias
    Options
    Are those groups playing together in one game? Will a fireman meet a policeman somewhere? If so, you have to place them in the same room (e.g. in separate positions).

Here, "room" means a group of players who exchange their updates, etc. It's more like a match. You won't get updates of players in a different room.

If they are separate, the naming convention is enough to separate them. You can use a lobby per group and have several rooms belonging to it. The name would be <group-name>_lobby. When you create a game in Lite Lobby you can attach it to a lobby. Again, using the name convention.
  • Thank you for the replies.
    The way it works is we have this one big level in Unity where we have several people logging in.
    I want to make it easy and have a dropdown of dynamic room names for each person category.
    When a person creates a username he is given a list of groups he can choose from. If he
    is a policeman then he would choose policeman and he would be placed in a section of the
    level. I would like to extend it later where the person can pinpoint what part of the level they
    want to jump to when logging in. Each person would still join the same level but later i would
    like to have several levels. I also want to be able to keep a group of people that log in together.
    If one is traveling too far I want that person to change position closer to the other person.
    Do I need to extend the lobby class then to add the functionality of groups .
    Thank you for your help.