My default region and server

Hello,

I'm trying to understand why my default region matters.

If I set my default region to USA does that mean my game will only play well to users in the USA?

Will a game session of mine by 2 players in Germany be handled by the German server?

I assume if a player in USA plays with someone in Germany that there could be significant lag, yes?

Thanks

Comments

• Hello FGStud,

I'm not sure about the default region. Nevertheless, about Best region, it will try to always connect to the best server according to the player location.If configured for Best region, a player in Germany will connect to the Europe server, while the USA player will connect to USA server. As you might know, they will not see each other since they are on different server.

In my case I do manually ping only 3 servers (US, EU, JP), since I don't want to slip too much my user base, and I choose the best for one.

Regards,
    Don T.
  • This is insane!
    As you might know, they will not see each other since they are on different server.

Could anybody from Dev Team approve or disaprove this statement, please?

We need to run one "global" and "multiplatform" realtime game...
    we need our users to connect to their closest [Master Servers] and play with other users around the world.

I was absolutely sure that Exit Games Dev Team were leveraging the Azure Internal communication capabilities... Have you talk wih MS DPE ?
  • What was the consensus regarding your question, Dodius?

Is it possible to have a German player play against someone in USA?
  • as I understand, in this case

German player will be connected to EU Master Server with 91 ms ping time, and US player HAS TO BE connected to the same EU Master Server to be able to see his German friend. it means that USA Player will experience ping 384 ms, that is unacceptable for highly-dynamic multiplayer game....

I want German guy connect to EU server (short ping), US guy to USA server (short ping), and they BOTH can play the same room.
    all you need - just offer a kind of VPN connection between those two servers using Azure highway connectivity.

am I correct?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dodius :
    I have the same questions (and requirement) as you and I try to understand how things work.
    I think that Photon Cloud infrastructure has a hierarchical topology (if though the picture in this doc. page does not explicitly say so) :
    root : NameServeR
    level 1 : MasterServers (1? per region) - Lobbies and Room Lists
    level 2 : GameServers (per MasterServer <==> per region) - Rooms

Rooms can't be "distributed" on multiple GameServers.
    So unless I'm wrong (I hope so) players from different regions need to connect to one Region/MasterServer in order to join the same Room.