A quick hello :)

I am finally getting around to using these forums, sad of me I know :)
Just a small introduction, I am known on Torque forums as Jonathan Wood
I am also known on Unity forums as zumwalt (well Jonathan Wood is my real name)
I stubmled across Photon with announcesments by Tobias in the Unity forums and have grown to love what it is growing into, and the fact that it has so many different avenues for client deployment is outstanding. My background really consists of over a decade of corporate application development and all of my networking background consists of eitehr using System.Net with sockets or Raknet using unmanaged C++ code.

I have only been working with the Torque products since 2005 and with Unity since 2007, but with everything that Photon seems to offer for me on both platforms, it is amazing what this product can do and I look forward to many years of productivity out of Exit Games and I am pretty sure they won't let me down, not with their support track record to date :)

Well, this is my little generic introduction so back digging into code I go :)

Edit: 7/20/2010 Update
I have just purchased the Unlimited Indy license, very impressed with this product!

Comments

• Hi Jonathan, welcome to the forums (which I think haven't been up for too long ;-) ). It's great to see more and more Unity folks coming in here ;-)
  • Welcome Jonathan

Glad to see another familiar and networking interested UNITY user here :)

Reminds me that I didn't introduce myself:

I'm Marc
    Among developer boards I'm normally traveling by the same user name as I do here, with exception of the TorquePowered boards, where you can find me by my realname Marc Schaerer.

I've been doing general non-professional game development for fun and because I enjoy it for a good decade but added in some lower budget indie technologies in the past 6 years including the various non TX Torque technologies and T2Di. Since spring 08 I'm also a happy user of Unity.
    Network wise I originally started with the rather simple and archaic possibilities of DarkBasic / BlitzBasic3D and was diving deeper into it on the raw socket level these "good old days" but have resorted to use existing libraries since then as the quality of the same has reached a level that I personally consider as too much effort when "the wheel already exists".
    I decided to approach the Photon way because it offers a very strong and flexible server platform for many games of various genres and that in a professional maintainable way, while not sacrificing performance for it
  • Hi Jonathan,

I actually came here due to all the good comments about Photon on the Unity forums (including your comments). I'm Proton on the Unity forums, but how confusing would the name Proton be on the Photon forums :P

I already have my networking transfered form Unity's built in networking to Photon, and am really enjoying the new style of networking.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys create ;)
  • I'm Proton on the Unity forums, but how confusing would the name Proton be on the Photon forums :P

Man, you gotta change your login-name immediately - you are the missing piece: They've got Photons, Neutrons ... a Proton is clearly missing (well, but people might end up thinking you are a new product ... "Exit Games' new AI-forum-bot - indistinguishable from an actual user, try the turing-test" ;-) ).

Sounds cool that you already "did it" (going from Unity's networking to Photon). I'm pretty sure now that I'll be going that route, too :-)
  • I'm Louis.

And I've also wafted over here from the Unity boards,

I suppose I'm one of those Prosumers that just plays with nice toys for fun, but that's only because I don't actively hate my day job (and game production actually seems like a difficult way to try to make real money).

Anyway I only briefly flirted with Torque, actually quite like UDK, vaguely looked at ShiVa (but decided that I can't possible evaluate yet another game engine) and have done enough work with Unity to be irritated with the networking, but I'm still hoping that they will sort out their problems because it still seems like a good product.

I''m hoping to work through the Photon samples soon, when I'm not distracted by ZBrush anymore.
  • My name is Jay and I am a striving game artist I work with Maya 3D and I am currently trying to enhance my skills and knowledge for game art 3D creation. I would love to be of help to any project in developement and have my custom creations in any ones custom maps, mods, programming, etc. Even if you are just building your own game environment i would like to make a SIMPLE AND BASIC 3d asset for artist to put in the game or your map. I am still kind of a novice and have not yet reached organics yet but i have learned this much and all i can do from this day on out is to get better. If you have a small project in mind and would like some new assets created feel free to contact me and send me a short request and maybe a rough sketch or picture of what you would like created for your map. I am only one person so I reallly dont know how many request i will get but i can only make one asset at a time. For the fastest response whether you just have a question or request, its best to contact me directly at my personal website. I look forward to hearing from you creative individuals. Happy modding!

regards,
    http://jaybarnett.net

PS- I am NOT looking for pay or full time employment, i am volunteering and i just want to make things and have them put into other peoples projects so that i can become better at 3d modeling, also so that i can look back at projects years from now and see things that i made in game environments and say. . . . .yeah, i made that! :)
  • Hello everyone....This is my first post and i came here to enjoy and want to share and get some knowledge from here.
  • Hello Guys,

I am a new member here....I like to be a part of this Thread....
  • Hi Dear I am also a new member on this forum, I would like to say hello to you. If you don't mind i want to inappreciable your thread. I don't think it is a quick hello. You have given a long narration.