RefreshCloudServerRating not implemented

Options
Hello everyone! At first, a little disclaimer. I am planning to use PUN (with photon cloud) in my project as a most reliable and easy to use multiplayer backend. I am moving form combination of Google Play multiplayer and Unity networking, which was proven unusable in serious projects. I will be asking a series of questions for which I didn't find the answers in docs or somwhere else (forum, stackoverflow, unity answers). Don't get me wrong, I will be glad if I'm mistaking, and the answers are obvious or easy to find. Anyway, please point me in right direction and please don't leave any of this questions unanswered.

My fifth question is about joining the best cloud region possible. For now when using standard connection flow prefered region stays in player prefs. I would like to have functionality described in RefreshCloudServerRating docs: "Pings all cloud servers again to find the one with best ping (currently)", but in the latest version this function throws NotImplementedException. I don't see this stated in any doc, so I assume that this is unexpected, is it? If it's expected, how do I implement same functionality (this is an optional question if someone has the code, I think I could handle this one)? Is it generally safe to switch between regions in such manner? E.g. what will happen with FindFriends functionality (asked in the previous questions, so I expect to find an answer there)?

That's all the questions for now, but I'm sure there will be more (hope not). Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    We will be happy if we can just point you to some docs you missed.
    In all other cases, we will simply write up what you need to know :)

The missing implementation is just that: Missing. We switched away from "internet ping" to our own and didn't finish re-ping yet. It should be part of the new region-selection we plan for PUN. Please hang on.

To re-ping when you connect use:
    PhotonHandler.BestRegionCodeInPreferences = CloudRegionCode.none;
    PhotonNetwork.ConnectToBestCloudServer("1.0");

All regions are fully separated from each other. This means you can't find games of other regions and if a friend is online in another region (because either switched), then you won't see her online. You can work around this by using a single region in Photon Chat but in general, we suggest to use few regions and switch rarely.