UE4 + Particle Demo

Options
savaikun
edited November 2014 in Native
Using the Demo Particle and inclusion of my AppID - I continuously receive errors. I'm finding it difficult to decipher what is causing this issue. Seems that the demo isn't straight out of the box as it's not working accordingly.

Warn: OpCreateRoom() Failed: Unknown operation code.

Any idea why this is happening in an 'out of the box' demo solution?
I can look deeper into the scripts, if I have to.

///edit///
Seems as if though the server is just simply sitting at 'connecting...' which may be the issue primarily?

Using serveraddress ns.exitgames.com:5058
AppID .. well that's for me to know

Help with this issue would be greatful.

Comments

• Kaiserludi
    Options
    This sounds like a firewall issue.
    Please make sure that you allow outgoing UDP traffic to use port 5055-5058 (and outgoing TCP traffic should be allowed on ports 4530-4533, if you want to switch the protocol to TCP) for UE and also for standalone runs of the app.
    Also it's ns.exitgamescloud.com, not ns.exitgames.com, but that is probably just a mistake in your post, I guess.

Moreover please make sure that you replace your app id in the properties of the PhotonLBClient actor and not ust inside the cpp-code file, because changing it in the C++ code only changes the default value for the appID for further actors to which the blueprint gets attached, but does not change the value for existing actors! Also please verify that you don't replace "<no-app-id>" by "<yourActualAppId>", but by "yourActualAppId" without the "<>"
  • I have absolutely no firewall running on both the PC and the router. I have also enabled port forwarding within the modem/router for the UDP and TCP port ranges. I have no programs on my PC that could hinder this connection because it's a fresh install with only UE4 on it. Still stuck on 'connecting...'
    Also, your particle demo uses serveraddress ns.exitgames.com:5058 on default, and so I used ns.exitgamescloud.com:5058 and both are still unsuccessful. I'm also using the appropriate appID without the <> and placed solely within the blueprint and not edited in the c++ code. I even tried setting up a DMZ on my router/modem. Nothing.
    I'm about to give up on this :(
    Is it suppose to say connected after it connects?
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • Is anyone else able to replicate this issue I'm having and find a workaround considering the devs aren't replying/helping me atm?
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    Hi savaikun.
    savaikun wrote:
    considering the devs aren't replying/helping me atm

Sorry for the delay, but we usually do not look into the forum on the weekend.
    I have absolutely no firewall running on both the PC and the router.
    So you have completely deactivated the integrated Windows firewall on that PC?

Could you download the Photon Server SDK, run a local server (the LoadBalancing instance, not the Default instance) and check if you can successfully connect to localhost with the demo? Maybe we can track the problem down this way.
    Documentation on how to run a local Photon Server instance is available here:
    http://doc.exitgames.com/en/onpremise/c ... er-in-5min
  • Well the serve works absolutely fine - I was able to run 2 'editor windows' simultaneously while running the LoadBalancing test client which made a total of 7 players online at the same time!
    I also noticed that to connect to my 'local' server, I couldn't specify port 5058, while connecting because I would get error code 1039 "// Exception, if a server cannot be connected. Most likely, the server is not responding. Ask user to try again later."

Only ports 5055-5057 were working accordingly.
    I did not test the TCP ports because that's not really my interest.

So I figured, hey if these ports are working fine - why not try them on ns.exitgamescloud.com:5055 etc...up to 5057, and well, I guess you can assume what happened, error code 1040.

So I'm at a loss here :(
    BTW: This server setup is beautiful - I'm going to use it 'temporarily' until we figure out this issue so that I may continue on with game development for the time being.

///EDIT///

Just realized that the PhotonServer.config file only listens for ports 5055-5057 for UDP, so scratch my comment about not being able to connect to port 5058.
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    Hi again.

Sorry. I forgot to mention that port 5058 is used on the Cloud only.

Well, good news that it works for you with a local Photon Server, so that you are not blocked by the problem with connecting to the cloud.

Does it work, if you connect to app-us.exitgamescloud.com:5055?

Could you test if you are able to try to connect to ns.exitgamescloud.com:5058 from a different computer that is not behind that router (and ideally not behind of any router)?

This kind of problem (able to connect to a Photon Server on localhost, but not to the Photon Cloud + it fails with a 'timeout disconnect' on connect, which means that it is not an app id issue, but Photon can't be reached at all + url and port are definitely valid) is nearly always caused either by a firewall or by a router. In fact I don't know of any case in which something else has caused this problem.
  • Hello and thanks for all the help.
    Today, I contacted my ISP and they have bridged my modem directly to their host. Therefore, I essentially have no 'routers' per se. The only outgoing port they are blocking is 25 (which is usual for all ISPs). I've tested this on another PC with a totally different ISP and I get the exact same issue.
    Here is a short video displaying the issue, perhaps you can assist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSBjRgo ... e=youtu.be
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    Thanks for the video. That clears things up: You are definitely connected. That "unknown operation code" error message is coming from Photon and you must be connected to get that error.

Your problem seems to be that your appID is invalid. In that case you are stuck on the nameserver and won't ever get forwarded to a master server, which otherwise would happen automatically on connect. As the nameserver doesn't know the opCreateRoom() operation, you get an unknown operation code error message, when you try to create a game room in this state.
    Normally the client library would log an error message "Invalid application id format", which would have made the cause of the problem more obvious.
    However logging is only active with the debug builds of the library and unfortunately the Windows builds of UE4 only works with the release builds of the Photon client libs, when you don't rebuild the unreal engine from source yourself and link it against the debug version of the Microsoft CRT. The debug version of the CRT is incompatible to the release version, so all libs have to use the same CRT version as the executable or you will get linker errors. Debug builds of Photon link against the debug version of the CRT, while release builds link against the release version, while the official binary releases of UE4 for Windows link against the release version of the CRT even in their debug configuration (the reasoning of the UE developers for that decision seems to be that somehow the debug CRT slows down the engine so much that they have decided that the impact of it would be too big not only when releasing a game, but even when debugging it).

Please copy and paste your appID to rule out problems like O vs. 0 or capital i vs lower case L. Make sure you did not accidentally include a white space at the start or end of the appID. If it still doesn't work, then please contact us at developer@exitgames.com and mention the email address that you have used to create your cloud account, so that we can have a look from our side if everything should work.