PUN with OnPremise Server.

So, I have noticed PUN is more so designed for Photon Cloud... But, I also noticed theres an option to connect to the OnPremise server.

I have loaded up the LoadBalancing server, and noticed it connects, and everything is peachy..

However, I have some questions.

1. Can you get the most out of OnPremise server using PUN? or should you use the "normal" API?
2. Does the PhotonNetwork.AuthValues get sent to the OnPrem server?
3. Are there any real restrictions with using PUN w/ OnPrem servers?

Comments

• OnPremise is very compatible with Photon Cloud. You can run the setup "LoadBalancing (MyCloud)" via Photon Control and it should run as replacement for the Cloud.

1: PUN hides a few low-level things and adds a "comfy" layer on top of Photon's Events to implement RPCs, PhotonViews, etc. Do you plan to modify the server? Then maybe don't use PUN. If you just want to host yourself, use PUN if you like.
    2: Yes. I will ask my colleagues if they can tell you how to use or forward those values.
    3: Custom Authentication is maybe not yet in OnPrem. Afaik, everything else is "in".
  • Hi,

for #2:
    The "Custom Autentication" feature is currently not part of the Photon SocketServer SDK / On Premise. So you need to modify the "HandleAuthenticateRequest" method yourself and handle the values there (forward them to your own custom authentication service, to Facebook etc.).

In the next mayor release, Photon 4, we will also release the Custom Authentication feature for Photon OnPremise, but we don't have a schedule for it yet.
  • I've found the "HandleAuthenticateRequest" event, however, I have yet to find a tutorial on how to properly "fail" or "pass" the authentication.

Do you have any documentation about that?
  • Scratch my last. I figured it all out and got it all working.
    Thanks!