game room options issues

Options
Hello.
I have been having a number of issues with 'JoinOrCreateRoom' and 'CreateRoom' methods of PUN.
My main issue is that not matter how I try to set the room options, a number of them (always the same ones) never get set. Namely 'isVisible = false' and 'isOpen = false'.
If I try to set these options in either 'JoinOrCreateRoom' or 'CreateRoom', they are always set to true and testing by joining with a second client has shown that this is not just a false positive so-to-speak. However, the 'maxplayers' variable does set properly in 'CreateRoom'.

Secondly, if I try to set the 'maxplayers' property in 'JoinOrCreateRoom', I get the error 'InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.' which directs me to the line 'this.maxPlayersField = (byte)propertiesToCache[GameProperties.MaxPlayers];' in RoomInfo.cs.
I have tried casting the 'maxplayers' value to byte also to no avail.

Code tried:
//throws error at max players
PhotonNetwork.JoinOrCreateRoom(UniqueID, new RoomOptions() { maxPlayers = 1, isVisible = false, isOpen = false }, TypedLobby.Default);
//isVisible and isOpen are true on creation
PhotonNetwork.JoinOrCreateRoom(UniqueID, new RoomOptions() { isVisible = false, isOpen = false }, TypedLobby.Default);
//isVisible and isOpen are true on creation
PhotonNetwork.CreateRoom(UniqueID, new RoomOptions() { maxPlayers = 1, isVisible = false, isOpen = false }, TypedLobby.Default);

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    I can reproduce the issue and I have a workaround. I don't know yet why it doesn't work though.
    If you create a RoomOptions instance "ro" and set ro.isVisible = false, then it works, as far as I can see.

I don't understand why the initializer doesn't work though. I will find out.
  • Tobias
    Options
    It seems to be an issue with initializers in Unity. Testing the same code in the MS DotNet Runtime, the code works.
    This part of the code was copied from a pure dotnet API, so the effect wasn't discovered (as our demos show rooms).

I reported a bug to Unity and I will have to check what we can do to fix this.
  • Tobias
    Options
    It works if the bool RoomOptions are properties and set in the RoomOptions constructor.
    Auto generated properties with get;set; are enough.

I will try to have a look at similar code, when time allows.
  • That's for the reply :D
    I have other areas I can work on for now so I'll get to that until some other way around is worked out.
  • Tobias
    Options
    I am not sure if I will do another update of PUN 1.28 and the next proper release will be a bigger update which is a few days off.
    I found by now, that this is a known issue since years in Unity. I reported it for a beta of Unity 5. If you can access the beta, please report this issue, too. It might add some weight to fixing it.

Just to recap:
    You can avoid the issue by not using the Object Initializer syntax. Create a new RoomOptions object and then (!) assign values. This is the easiest way!
    Or: Modify RoomOptions to use C# properties with a backup field which initializes the values to what they are now by default.
  • xidea
    Options
    Same issue in the Win Phone 8 SDK / Load Balancing.

The workaround of setting the RoomOptions fields does not work :(

Flavio