Is PUN suitable for Spaceteam style WiFi multiplayer?

Forgive me if this information is readily available somewhere, I've not been able to find it.

I'm a fairly experienced multiplayer flash developer, with 1 released game, 1 in public beta, that between them get a peak of 300 concurrent users each day (not using Photon).

I've got an idea for an app/game that's similar to SpaceTeam, in that it would be played by 2 to 6 players on their phones in the same room. I'd like to develop it in something fairly high level, and that can be deployed to both iOS and Android, so Unity seems right for this. There's lots of information on using PUN for remote, online multiplayer, but is it easy to set up for local multiplayer over wifi? I obviously don't want to be connecting to one of your remote servers when my players will always be connected to the same wireless network.

What I'm developing is actually not a game and really rather simple. There doesn't even need to be an authoritative 'server', it's ok if clients disagree. All I need is fast communication between 2-6 clients over a wifi network. Can PUN do this?

All advice greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• I remember a while back there was a thread about using Unity's own networking to do what you described.

I'm a bit fuzzy if it called into a Master server but I do remember it was lan based.
  • Sorry for the late reply.

Photon always uses our dedicated servers on a Windows machine. Local multiplayer on mobiles is not possible with Photon.
    If you have wifi anyways, the connection to the server gives you the option to accept more players from outside the wifi, simplifies matchmaking and the lag is not worse than what you have to handle for online games anyways.