Master Server + P2P

GravitySpec
edited May 2011 in DotNet
Are clients able to establish P2P (peer to peer) connections with other clients?

I'm wanting to create a centralized server that would maintain a players character data and then enter an auto matchmaking system to engage in small fights with other players of about 4v4 or 5v5 players max in each battle with only minimal contact back to the master server to update inventory from item usage and post battle rewards being awarded.

Does this change how licensing is handled with regard to connection limits? If this project takes off I would love to just go for the unlimited CCU license. :)

Comments

• This is currently in development. We plan to reach alpha stage in 3-4 weeks.
  • Thanks Boris! Glad to hear it! I still have plenty of work I can do with just getting the main authoritative logic going along with the rest of the main logic outside of the battle system, so that works out just fine for me.

Are you able to disclose yet how P2P sessions will play against a servers CCU limit?
  • I have nothing official, but I assume that all clients will have to keep a photon server connection established so that the CCU limit remains the same. The hosting costs will be much lower though since p2p connections will use a lot less of the hosting center's bandwidth.
  • Thanks for the response Boris. I'm guessing it will just send small keep alive traffic. Can't wait to try it out when it's ready.

Thanks again!
  • Thanks for the response Boris. I'm guessing it will just send small keep alive traffic. Can't wait to try it out when it's ready.

Thanks again!
    You would not have to send keep alive traffic. The Photon Clients automatically handle this, if you do not send anything. the only thing, you have to do, is calling Photonpeer::service() regularly, but you will have to do this anyway, to get the p2p data out.
  • Hello!
    We need the same p2p functionality because we developing game where we have PvP duels ( server/client ok ) and CPU vs Player duels which we assuming run CPU AI on client (iOS for example ) and we need to use the same code as server/client.
    Could you please say when is will be available to evaluate. Thank you.
  • Desperado wrote:
    We need the same p2p functionality because we developing game where we have PvP duels

PvP does not require peer to peer connections. Those two concepts are completely unrelated.

Peer to Peer connections directly connect all players of any match with one another. Any client will send it's updates to each of the players who are connected, instead sending one call to the server and let it relay the info. This increases your customer's bandwidth usage and maybe costs. Also, peer to peer does not work across all devices, ISPs and providers. There are some hurdles, which will make it impossible to play for some users.

You should take a look at the Lite Application and the Demo Realtime. It sends data (position) from one client to all others.