Dedicated Server

bleevo
edited April 2011 in DotNet
Hi,

Your software appears to be geared towards hosted/mmo situations but what about for a game that allows the player to setup a dedicated server. I think the 50ccu license covers this situation but what about if you want to allow 100ccu? Would I have to have a license for every user's computer then?

Comments

• There's already a free 100ccu license for Photon if I'm not mistaken.
  • We usually assume you want to run a small number of machines for your customers. We never considered dedicated servers that you distribute, even though it would be possible. Photon is in the end a simple executable and even runs on Windows XP.

Depending on the scope of the project, we're open to find a way to make it happen. With the standard licenses, you can only use one free license per game, so that's 100ccu per game in total.

Hosting 100 ccu through a "normal" end user ISP could prove difficult in terms of bandwidth. What's the reasoning for doing so?
  • OK yeah it was more of a question of licensing, so to make this happen (just in R&D atm) I would have to purchase a more broader license to allow users to run their own servers. And yes 99% of users would use under 50ccu but there could be situations where some would use more than that if they bought dedicated hardware. Thank you for your answers.