Ping on USA

Options
rokawar
rokawar ✭✭
Hello Photon Staff and all others crazy coder.

I got a lot of report about the ping in the lobby in the usa server.

The ping seem to be correct when we join a room but when we are in the lobby, the ping is 3 time more higher.

The problem is that in my game, the player can setup a ping limit and like we check the ping of the player in the lobby before joinning a room, the player always have a ping too high.

Maybe some user can confirm this?

PUN version : 1.19

Thank You

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    Ping does not play a role in the Photon lobbies.
    The ping is not per game but only measured between the client and the single server it's connected to (in the lobby, that's the master server).
    You can't get your own ping to some game/room, unless you join it.

If players in the room set their ping as custom room property to inform the others of some measured ping, then it's not very useful, cause your own ping might be different and players with bad ping should maybe just quit a room instead of making it unattractive for others (with a bad ping).

The ping to the Master Server (in lobby) might be different than what you get in the game. It also might change a bit over the play-time (minutes).
    With that info: Is it a big issue when you get another Ping from the master- than from the game-servers?
  • rokawar
    Options
    Thank for the answer.

Big issue? yes and no. At the moment when a player create a room, he can setup a ping limit with the room property that we show in the lobby.

As exemple if the player who want join a room setup at 100 ping and who have less than 100 in game but more in the lobby,he can't join it.

The solution for me now, is to check the ping when joining a room and then reject the client if he is over the value.

The strange thing, it's that on my self hosted server and on your europe server, the ping that we get in the lobby is the same that the ping in game.
    Maybe you have 2 server for your usa server. One for the lobby and one for the game or maybe the server who host the lobby have a lot of charge on it.
  • Hey,

your observations are all correct - the US Master server is currently under high load which results in higher ping times / higher latency.

We will replace some hardware today and the issue should be resolved by then. I'll update this thread when we are done.
  • rokawar
    Options
    Happy that you have found the issue.

Thank again.
  • Hi all,

the hardware replacement on the US Master server is done. Please let me know if there is still something not working as expected. :)
  • rokawar
    Options
    I have tested and the ping is really better.

Thank again for your work.