Photon Cloud Connectivity (blocked at work?)

I'm using Photon Cloud to handle mutliplayer for my game, and currently hosting the web player on Azure. I have no trouble connecting from my home computer, and some friends have been able to connect without any problems, but I can't connect with multiplayer from work.

I thought it might be an issue with the port being blocked, so I looked at the port reference here and tried some alternatives, but still could not connect from work.

When I run the game locally with PhotonLogLevel.Full, I just see the disconnect messages below. I also tried connected with my computer at home first to make sure the master client is outside of the work network, but that didn't help either. I can connect to some other web-based mp games, so it should be possible, but I'm having trouble debugging where the problem is. Anyone have any suggestions for what I could try next?
OnStatusChanged: TimeoutDisconnect
UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
NetworkingPeer:OnStatusChanged(StatusCode) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:1280)
ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer:SendOutgoingCommands()
ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer:SendOutgoingCommands()
PhotonHandler:Update() (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonHandler.cs:96)

OnStatusChanged: Disconnect
NetworkingPeer:OnStatusChanged(StatusCode) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:1280)
ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer:Disconnect()
ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer:Disconnect()
NetworkingPeer:Disconnect() (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:346)
NetworkingPeer:OnStatusChanged(StatusCode) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:1452)
PhotonHandler:Update() (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonHandler.cs:96)

OnStatusChanged: Disconnect
ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer:Disconnect()

Comments

• You might want to check your work's firewall rules. Not only your machine but also every router in between your machine and the internet might block our messages at will.
    In this case "some other web-based games" are not a reference. It could be another port or protocol or some other workaround that helps in their case.

"OnStatusChanged: TimeoutDisconnect" looks suspiciously like blocked communication. It won't help connecting with another player from another place or so. It's only about this one network setup.
  • Tobias, thanks for the quick reply.

I don't have much control over the company firewall settings. Are there any other settings I could tinker with on my end? I've only tried changing the server port on the PhotonServerSettings object under the Resources folder (and may not have used good ports anyway). Could switching to Photon Server potentially help, or would the problem likely be the same either way?
  • Changing the port is probably not helping. You also can't simply pick any port if you use the Photon Cloud. They are fixed.
    With the Photon Server you could potentially set ports but you would have to find one by accident, if you don't know what gets blocked. You could run a server locally to test, however.
    Is the game/application done for your company? If so, they might want to add exceptions for those ports.

You could try to use TCP and port 4530.
    Aside from that, it's best if you find out if the problem is the firewall or not. In rare cases, a device also won't work with some router but another (my Xperia P drops connection on one wlan router but not on another).