Cloud max Messages question

Options
Hello!

I am working on my complete revamp of my game Ratz Instagib for Steam.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =147675335

Currently there is a max amount of 6 players per room.
that would be 6*7*10=420 msg

If i could increase the max players to 8 would be great.
that would be 8*9*10=720 msg

but...
i tested with a single room and 6 players and the dashboard Graph said its only ~350 msg

do i calculate the msg wrong?
if not, is there a way to be allowed to exceed the 500msg limit?

CTF or Team DM is silly with only 3vs3...

Thanks!

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    Each message one sends will be received by the remaining 5 players. So it's 6*6 * frequency, which is about 360. That seems to fit, yes.
    You can try to keep within the 500msg/sec per room limit as good as you can. You will also have to make sure your clients can keep up with that.
    If you're above the limit, mail us and we will work out something. There are currently no fixed package for this but we definitely want to make games happen, not block them. Get in touch with: developer@exitgames.com when you know the numbers.
  • carmine
    Options
    Tobias...

If I send a byte array or large string... let's say it's 20,000 characters. The limit for UDP is 65k and (but with MTU and other things) the packet could be max 1,500 or even 512 bytes.

Does one RPC = 1 message... or .. if the byte array/string is big enough, it's broken down into several messages?

Thanks!

-Carmine
  • Marek
    Options
    @Tobias

http://doc.exitgames.com/en/onpremise/c ... mance-tips

The content size of datagrams is limited to 1200bytes to run on all devices.
    Operations and events that are bigger than 1200bytes get fragmented and are sent in multiple commands. These become reliable automatically, so the receiving side can reassemble and dispatch those bigger data chunks when completed.
  • Tobias
    Options
    Exactly.
    Photon automatically applies fragmentation to messages that are too large for one package. The client sets a MTU value, which you can re-define. It's 1200 by default.
  • carmine
    Options
    Tobias wrote:
    Exactly.
    Photon automatically applies fragmentation to messages that are too large for one package. The client sets a MTU value, which you can re-define. It's 1200 by default.

My follow up question:
    - If I send a 1201 byte message, does that count as 2 messages against my per second limit?

Also, I'm surprised about the message limit. 500/s seems like a lot, but you really can't have more than 6 players in 1 room for any extended amount of time :(

-Carmine
  • Tobias
    Options
    If you send 1201 bytes, this gets fragmented for transport (in 2 UDP packages) but it's still one message.
    If you can't get away with the 500 messages/sec per room limit, get in touch with us. Sometimes messages can be optimized. If all else fails, we usually just allow a higher message-rate.