Needs more tutorials

zergcow
edited March 2011 in DotNet
Photon needs tutorials. take a look at these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OA3tPru ... re=related

This is what Photon needs. I am in an MMO class on 3D Buzz where we will use Photon but I think for now I am going to be using ElectroServer untill the time that that MMO class gets around to explaining how to use Photon.

I think if Photon had videos like this Photon would get more use out of Unity folks.

Comments

• Thanks for your feedback - we continue to work on our documentation and lower the entry barrier. Actually Photon is very simple and most developers found Photon very easy to use after they used our samples. Do not start with the MMO sample as it is the most sophisticated one (with interest management etc.).

The reasons 3D Buzz why picked Photon: MMO Class (Page 2)

1) Native Core: "The first is that Photon is built from the ground up in native C and C++. This makes it very small and streamlined (i.e. fast)." Other servers use Java.

2) Reliable UDP (RUDP): "It also utilizes UDP for faster performance, onto which is added a “reliability layer,” allowing the programmer to flag critical events, so that the server handles delivery of those packets. It makes for a very fast server with no dropping of critical data." Other servers only provide UDP and TCP in a mix. And this is NOT a good idea - see Gaffer on Games for detailed reasons.

3) C#: "Probably the most important point that tipped the scales in Photon’s favor was the fact that it is extensible in C#. This means that the development of the game client and the server itself could take place with a single unified language, rather than having to use one language for the client and another for the server." Other servers use Java.
  • zergcow wrote:
    Photon needs tutorials. take a look at these:

This is what Photon needs. I am in an MMO class on 3D Buzz where we will use Photon but I think for now I am going to be using ElectroServer untill the time that that MMO class gets around to explaining how to use Photon.

I think if Photon had videos like this Photon would get more use out of Unity folks.

zergcow: I'm in the same MMO class, but I wanted to be ready for some of the videos when they came around, so I'm sticking with Photon. I'm curious, have you tried these ones?

http://developer.exitgames.com/blankserversetup/partone

There are videos there, they may not link up with Unity like the ones you previously listed, but they will help teach you how OpCodes move between the Client and Server and the flow of the program. I think jumping into the Lite Program is too much at first. This new set of videos is a much better starting point.

Let me know if I can help you out (Same user name here and on the 3dbuzz forums).

Rhoon
  • We added new starter tutorial ("Hello World") in the developer network:
    Hello World - Part 1
    Hello World - Part 2
    Part 3 is upcoming next week with explanations on the server side.

On top we made an overview of all available demos:
    Demo List

Chat Demo and Realtime Demo have been refreshed.

hope that helps, Chris
  • I'm still extremely confused with this server code. I understand that you have to put the information in a hash table and send it over the network.
    Are there any tutorials focusing on breaking up data (for instance: username, password, position, etc.) and sending it over the server from unity?
    And are there any tutorials focusing on where to place custom functions within the server? I'm at a loss as where to begin editing.

I've been going over this code for about 2 and a half weeks now, and it just completely blows my mind. From what I can tell, it is extremely functional, but lacking in explanation of what does what and where this is done.