Does PUN work using 3G/4G internet access ?

I didn't seem to find an answer for this, sorry if there is one, my forum searching skills are not the best.

Everything works perfectly on Wifi but with 3G/4G the only thing that works is showing how many players are online and how many servers.

This question is both for iOS and Android.

My game is Meltdown and you can check it out here
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/meltdow ... 31663?mt=8
and here
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... supahtroop

Thanks for the replies :)

Comments

• In principle, it should work with 3G and 4G. Maybe a bit slower.
    Also, it might be less stable, if you send a lot of data (cause bandwidth is limited and loss might be a bit higher). Also, connection quality might be a factor.

Make sure you use a current PUN version if you didn't update in a while. We improved handling of connection while Unity is loading assets, etc.
  • Thank you for the quick reply.

We have the latest version 1.24 from 18th of october 2013. So there are no special settings to be set for 3G/4G to work or code anything extra ? In other words, is there something we can do to make it work with 3G and 4G or is it something you're working ?

Thank you very much for the help.
  • There are no special settings to be done and it should work out of the box unless you have a high amount of data synced (which will happen much slower with 3G, e.g.).

Can you drop the PhotonStatsGui script in your in-game scene and track some values? Messages/s and Bytes/s. If you run it on device, also check the "Health Stats" like "longest gap between send" and dispatch.

Can you reproduce the issue with the demos from the PUN package, too? Please check them "as is" from a new, empty project as reference.
  • It was our bad all along :(

PUN was working with 3G but our faulty code didn't allow it to connect to the photon servers. Always make sure that ConnectUsingSettings("1.0") is properly called and your crappy internet-access-checking-code does not block that.

Sorry for the post and thank you for the quick help

PUN rules :)
  • Hehe. I need a facepalm-smiley! ;)
    Don't worry. This happened to me, too. Glad you found it and are happy now!