Questions about Photon cloud- which package should I get?

Options
Hiya!

We qualify as indie and will be needing thousands of simultaneous players -in different rooms or channels- each playing a map with up to 8 players per map. So that's 8 players but a lot of separate 8 player games going. By this I mean there could be 20,000 simultaneous players worldwide playing, but only 8 per game. Games will be very frequently launched, played, stopped etc.

With Photon cloud, what qualifies as a "server" ? is it the master client?

What package do I need?

Comments

• Kaiserludi
    Options
    I am not sure, if I get that question of yours right, but:
    With Photon Cloud, the Cloud is the "server".

20.000 simultaneous players worldwide mean 20.000 CCU (concurrent users), which from our experience would mean about 4.000.000 monthly active users and even a lot more downloads of the app. When your game reaches that kind of success then you are normally by far no indie anymore.
    That is why there is no indie-subscription for more than 500 CCU.

With the regular subscriptions you would pay 169$ per month per 1.000CCU for the first 5.000 CCU and 199$ per month per 1.000CCU from there on.
    https://cloud.exitgames.com/Pricing

On fast paced games one server node on our cloud can handle about 1.000CCU and sees about 7TB traffic for these 1.000 CCUs.
    So that price doesn't give us a huge margin and you will have to very difficult time to find a place, where you can host your own servers capable of hosting realtime games with that amount of traffic for that price.

However at that amount of CCU if your game networking codes traffic needs are considerately below those numbers it's really worth to drop us an email, so that we can see, if we can make a special price for you based on the low traffic needs and high CCU.

In general I would recommend you to start with the 500CCU subscription and then upgrade to a higher number of CCU, when you actually need it. Subscriptions with 500 and more CCU include a CCU Burst, so the cloud won't refuse any connection attempts of your users, when your games exceeds the CCU limit of your subscription.
  • Thanks! I think we're overestimating how many users will be concurrently playing a game.