Photon Cloud or Server for our multiplayer game. Help needed

Options
MarinK
edited July 2013 in Any Topic & Chat
Greetings,

First off, I'm sorry if this topic is in the wrong section of forum.

Second, greetings to all. My name is Marin, and me and my team are developing a mobile cross platform game for iOS and Android. It's a football/soccer manager game, but you can play it only online. This is our hobby project that turned into a more than we actually expected, so now we want to finish it off :)

So to get to the point... We need a cloud service to put our custom game logic into it. Let's say Player A is playing vs Player B. That custom logic would evaluate their team strengths and weaknesses and return those values in form of messages to Player A and Player B. Kinda hard to explain since english isn't my native language (suprise! ;) ).

Anyway, I already know we can use Photon for matchmaking system, but can we use Photon Cloud or Photon Server for storing values and retriving them in our game? Can we use photon as a database, or at least a place to store simple databaseses and retrive them to our clients?

Player registration and stuff like that?

Any advice would come in handy, since we are complete noobs to developing MP games. But hey, you gotta start out somewhere :0

And thanks to anyone who actually took their time to read this :D

Comments

• Hi Marin,

welcome to our forum and thanks for choosing Photon! :)

Photon Cloud:
    Pro:
    - supports "custom authentication" - which means: you can configure your own web service, which Photon Cloud will use to authenticate clients.
    Contra:
    - server logic can not be modified.

If you want to use Photon Cloud, you could set up your own web server + a database where you store your team strengths etc.
    A client would make an initial request to your service, retrieve its "skill values" and then connect to Photon Cloud. It could pass the "skills" as room properties to Photon and use them during matchmaking. So the client is responsible to pass all required information into Photon.

If you prefer to do all this on the server side, in Photon (registration, persistency etc.), you need to use Photon Server. In Photon Server, you can modify the server-side application logic in any way you want - it's all written in .NET / C#, and we provide the source code so that you can modify it easily.

Photon Server does not have any build-in persistency, but you can easily integrate any database of your choice, as long as it has a connector or client lib for .NET.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any more questions.
  • MarinK
    Options
    Nicole, thank you for your help. I'm gonna try to implement Photon Cloud to our game, since it seems to be almost everything we need. For other stuff I'm gonna manage it somehow...

And you should advertise Photon Cloud on corona forums as well. It's a great service, it would be a shame if a lot of people don't know about it :)