Local Photon Server?

Options
carmine
carmine ✭✭
edited August 2013 in Photon Unity Networking (PUN)
Hello,
I've been using the cloud server for a while, and people really dig my game. But I've had requests for the multiplayer to still work even when offline (on a local network).

Is there any sort of local mode that would make one of the machines a server?

Comments

• Tobias
    Options
    I wrote a blog post (instead of replying here):
    http://blog.exitgames.com/2013/05/upcom ... ributable/
  • carmine
    carmine ✭✭
    Options
    Tobias:
    I contacted the email address on the blog and no one wrote back. Please advise, I'd like to check this out. It's my most requested feature for my game now.
  • Tobias
    Options
    I found your mail. It's not lost but queued until we have something to send out.
    We still have some details to flesh out before we even package the preview. Sorry if that came across in another way.
  • carmine
    carmine ✭✭
    Options
    Hey Tobias,
    Just checking in. Any sort of timeline for this? I get a lot of requests for it...

Thanks!

-Carmine
  • Tobias
    Options
    We took a bit longer but next week, we should have the preview ready. We got the terms done by then and are looking forward to get feedback on the special PhotonControl (which got streamlined).
  • carmine
    carmine ✭✭
    Options
    Tobias,
    WIth the LAN verion are there any CCU or MSG/s limit? Or can I do whatever until my computer blows up?

-Carmine
  • Tobias
    Options
    It will likely have a CCU limit but we don't mind msg/sec in any room (or overall).
  • carmine
    Options
    Tobias,
    Checking in... it's been a week. This is one of my most requested features.... (crossing my fingers)... thanks!
  • Tobias
    Options
    I know. Weeks go by :(
    I'm sorry this didn't happen yet. We're now also implementing a license generation for the Redistributable and it seems my colleagues voted against a preview, waiting the not so long time until its fully done to release.
    It's far from forgotten or not being worked on.
  • carmine
    Options
    Tobias... any word on this....? any kind of ETA?
  • Leepo
    Options
    Tobias is currently on a holiday, he'll be back next monday. In the meanwhile I can ask if someone else can answer this question.
  • carmine
    Options
    Leepo wrote:
    Tobias is currently on a holiday, he'll be back next monday. In the meanwhile I can ask if someone else can answer this question.

That would be great. I was hoping for this a month ago. Tobias deserves a vacation... we nag the heck out of that guy :)
  • bertelmonster2k
    Options
    Good news: The Redistributable Server SDK is live (since yesterday)!

1) Download is here: https://www.exitgames.com/Download
    ExitGames-Photon-Server-Redistributable-SDK_vxxxx.zip

2) Get your Redist License here: https://www.exitgames.com/Dashboard
    You need to accept the Redist-Terms.

We have no special documentation yet and will add it ASAP. In the mean time we hope it is more or less self explaining.

sorry for the delay and thanks for staying tuned ;), Chris
  • carmine
    Options
    If I link from my website to the download page, it wants a login. Should I download the .ZIP and host it on my own website?

Is there a way that I can link from my website to the Server so my users can download it directly?
  • Leepo
    Options
    I would assume you would have to include the files in your own game folder (so yes, host it yourself).
  • carmine
    Options
    Leepo wrote:
    I would assume you would have to include the files in your own game folder (so yes, host it yourself).

What if there is an update? Do I need to periodically check if you guys updated it? I think a good idea would just be to have a public download page.

-Carmine
  • bertelmonster2k
    Options
    You prepare a game package for your customers:

a) Your game client
    b) The game server (using Photon) - this contains your license + image in Photon Control etc.

For both you need to take care of downloads, updates etc.
  • carmine
    Options
    I don't want to include the LAN package in my client, I want to have it as a seperate zip.

So you're saying I also need to include my license in the .zip? Will the user know where to put it?
    Is there instructions on how to redistribute this properly?

Do I need to
    - Download the redistributable .zip
    - Download my license
    - Unzip the redistributable
    - Put my license key in a folder in it somewhere?
    - Re-zip it... then put that on my site?

Thanks!
  • Tobias
    Options
    Back.

Yes, please download the redistributable server and re-package it with your game's license. You should also customize the server control's background with an image of your game.

You don't have to look for updates, unless you want to use new features. The package you distribute for your game can be considered stable unless something needs to be fixed.

The requirements for the redist server are the same as for normal Photon Server. For your gamers you can list those:
    http://doc.exitgames.com/photon-server/Requirements
  • carmine
    Options
    Tobias wrote:
    Back.

Yes, please download the redistributable server and re-package it with your game's license. You should also customize the server control's background with an image of your game.

You don't have to look for updates, unless you want to use new features. The package you distribute for your game can be considered stable unless something needs to be fixed.

The requirements for the redist server are the same as for normal Photon Server. For your gamers you can list those:

- Where do I put the license file.
    - How do I change the background?
    - Is there any documentation on this somewhere?
  • Tobias
    Options
    License -> into the same folder as PhotonSocketServer.exe
    Background -> There is a jpg in that folder, too. If you replace it (using same pixel size), your image will be loaded.
    Doc -> It seems it didn't make it in this iteration. We add it asap.
  • carmine
    Options
    Not working.. :(

I hit start... and then after a a second it stops itself. (this happens EVERY time)

- I have a PC laptop... running Windows 7. I put my license file in the same folder as PhotonSocketServer.exe (deploy/bin_Win32_xp)

- I'm assuming I don't need to name it... it's named: carmine@carmine.com.Photon-v3.free.100-ccu.license (not terribly happy about the name of that file)

- I didn't replace background jpg yet.

Please advise...
  • Tobias
    Options
    You need to install DotNet 3.5 or better 4.5. The runtime is enough. See:

If that doesn't help, you should be able to find some .log files. Zip and send them please.
  • carmine
    Options
    Tobias wrote:
    You need to install DotNet 3.5 or better 4.5. The runtime is enough. See:

If that doesn't help, you should be able to find some .log files. Zip and send them please.

Looks like an error with PhotonLicensing.dll see log below...

1272: 15:52:18.668 - About to load CLR - versions available:
    1272: 15:52:18.668 - v2.0.50727
    1272: 15:52:18.668 - v4.0.30319
    [...]
    1272: 15:52:30.219 - Photon host runtime loaded
    1272: 15:52:31.578 - ERROR: failed to load PhotonLicensing.dll. Going to shutdown.
    1272: 15:52:31.578 - License has expired.
    [...]
    1272: 15:52:31.711 - Shutdown complete...
    1272: 15:52:31.711 - Service shutting down: not licensed. Errorcode: 105
    1272: 15:52:31.712 - Service shut down complete
  • Tobias
    Options
    Oh. You have to use the "Redistributable License" from the download section. https://www.exitgames.com/download
    It's a special one. Sorry. That got lost, obviously.

I'll cut your log a bit. Hope you don't mind.
  • carmine
    Options
    Tobias wrote:
    Oh. You have to use the "Redistributable License" from the download section. https://www.exitgames.com/download
    It's a special one. Sorry. That got lost, obviously.

I'll cut your log a bit. Hope you don't mind.

I did exactly that....

- When you go to the Download page (it wants you to login).. you login it goes back to the page.
    - It says your licenses are on the Dashboard (went to that link)
    - I saw Redistributable licenses. I grabbed mine: carmine@carmine.com.Photon-v3.R.free.10 ... rs.license
    - Put in same folder as PhotonLicensing.dll (did not rename my license or anything, just dropped it in)

And I get the same message in the log that the file has expired.

Please advise...

-Carmine
  • Tobias
    Options
    Hm. We just checked the license and it doesn't have a expiry date. I even started the Redist server just fine with your license.
    Make sure no other .license file is in the deploy/bin_x86 folder please. Maybe you copied your trial in there before?
  • carmine
    Options
    This is a brand new .zip I got the same day I posted here. The laptop is running Vista by the way... I'll try another machine now....

- Windows 7 Pro
    - Download ExitGames-Photon-Server-Redistributable-SDK_v3-2-15-4565.zip
    - Unzip (I made a folder called "Photon" on my desktop)
    - Got license from Dashboard
    - Dragged into deploy/bin_Win32_xp
    - Run Server

Same exact result.. it stops immediately.. license expired, error 105, etc.

I noticed the PhotonCLR log:
    2013-08-08 10:20:06,013 [ 1] INFO PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - Initialize: ApplicationName = 'DefaultDomain', DomainID = '1'
    2013-08-08 10:20:06,044 [ 1] INFO PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - AppDomains with unhandled exceptions are usually not unloaded and restarted.
    2013-08-08 10:20:06,044 [ 1] INFO PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - Getting license information:
    2013-08-08 10:20:06,388 [ 1] ERROR PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - Failed to get PhotonLicensing instance: Could not load file or assembly 'PhotonLicensing, Version=3.2.9.2337, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=02c301b61b060c4d' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)
    2013-08-08 10:20:06,404 [ 1] ERROR PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - ERROR: failed to load PhotonLicensing.dll. Going to shutdown.
    2013-08-08 10:20:06,435 [ 1] INFO PhotonHostRuntime.PhotonDomainManager - RequestStop: ApplicationName = 'DefaultDomain', DomainId='1'
  • Philip
    Options
    Well its an old known issue cause by windows blocking downloaded-zip files.

You have to right-click the zip -> properties --> unblock. Then unzip.

Or use 7z to unpack.

Your users will have the same problem - make sure you
    a) pack with 7zip to 7z
    or better
    b) make a selfunpacking exe with 7zip.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1255&p=8998&hilit=unblock#p8998

Philip
  • carmine
    Options
    I did the UNBLOCK on the .ZIP file BEFORE opening it. I hit APPLY and OK. Put my license in the folder..

...and I'm still getting an error that the license has expired.

This needs to work for an average user who comes to my site and downloads it.

Can you guys just repackage it to a .EXE with a license? For something that's free I don't really need to customize the graphic and don't understand why I would need to put my own license in if we all have the same free license.

Please advise... my users are really dying for this feature, and I want to do some serious demos of my game, but I need the LAN version just incase I don't have Internet available.

Thanks!

-Carmine