The Photon Forum
is Closed Permanently.

After many dedicated years of service, we have made the decision to retire our Forum and switch to read-only: we´ve saved the best to last! Your search result can be found below. Plus, we offer support via these channels:

Try Our
Documentation

Please check if you can find an answer in our extensive documentation on PUN.

Join Us
on Discord

Meet and talk to our staff and the entire Photon-Community via Discord.

Read More on
Stack Overflow

Find more information on Stack Overflow (for Circle members only).

Write Us
an E-Mail

Feel free to send your question directly to our developers.

[Photon Cloud] Maximum Byte[] Size for and RPC?

Mentioum
2013-05-05 14:25:36

Hello all I am serializing a nested custom class which has the potential to get quite large and I am wondering if there is a hard limit to the size a byte[] can be within an RPC when using the Photon Cloud?

Comments

Tobias
2013-05-06 16:15:49

The "weak" limits will likely break your game before you hit a hard limit. Photon is not built to send huge data one a single message or RPCs. The focus is on messages below ~1000 Bytes. How much data do you expect?

Mentioum
2013-05-06 17:15:17

It depends how many objects they try to clone / change at once and how many properties are customised on those objects. It's very flexible from my end, I can limit maximum selected objects / further optimise things using protobuf or something similar.

Just doing a quick test: 544 objects byte array written to a file was 70kb , the XML equivalent was 871KB

The game shows off quite a lot of what you can do with Photon btw. Although it has its limitations you can do some v.cool stuff if you work around a bit :)

What would you suggest doing?